Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Digitally switch between PC and Mac

So I have a dilemma here.

How do I digitally switch between my PC and an eventual Mac Mini using the SAME monitors?

I am planning on getting a Mac Mini this fall but I would like to keep the new hardware buying to a minimum as I dont have the desk space for another monitor. I currently have 3 (three) 20" monitors running on my Windows 7 PC and they are taking up quite a bit of desk space but I would like to use one of the monitors as a monitor for a Mac Mini. I'll illustrate below:
User uploaded file

Basically, what I would like to do is to be able to run my Windows 7 PC across all 3 monitors AND be able to use one of the monitors when I want to switch over to the Mac Mini. I hope the illustration helps those who are reading this because its the simplest way I could explain it.

I know of KVM switches that allow users to switch between PC and Mac but is there a way to do it with 3 monitors? I'm not wanting OS X to run across all 3 monitors, just one of them. But I would also like to be able to keep Windows 7 running on the other 2 monitors (if possible. If not, thats ok)

iPhone 5, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 6:04 PM

12 replies

Jul 11, 2013 7:47 PM in response to Kappy

Ok so I have been looking into KVM switches all night and it looks like most, if not all of them are VGA. Would I be able to use VGA on a Mac mini? 2 of my monitors are running DVI and my 3rd monitor is running DVI to mini-HDMI.

Would there be a way I could somehow get my mini-hdmi monitor to be split between windows and OS X since that might be the easiest to flip back and forth?

Jul 11, 2013 9:32 PM in response to jedimasterkyle88

Well, you should be able to use VGA with an adaptor. The Mini will likely have a Mini-DisplayPort, so you would need an adaptor for that to VGA which Apple sells. The Mini may have HDMI, but right now the Apple Store is offline so I can't check specs.

I'm surprised there aren't any digital switches you can use, but then I've never tried to use more than one monitor most of the time.

I don't think it's even possible to split one line between two monitors.

Jul 12, 2013 3:46 AM in response to jedimasterkyle88

There are also plenty of DVI compatible KVM units on the market, see the following as one example.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Switch-Cables-Audio-SV211KDVI/dp/B0017JY5EU/ref=s r_1_73?ie=UTF8&qid=1373625895&sr=8-73&keywords=dvi+kvm

Another potential option is that some monitors have more than one input e.g. VGA and DVI or DVI and Displayport. In this case you could tell the monitor to switch inputs, this approach however does not let you share the keyboard and mouse unlike the KVM approach.

Jul 12, 2013 6:52 PM in response to mooblie

@mooblie and John Lockwood

Thats actually a really good idea! I never thought about just switching the inputs source on the monitor. That would be a **** of a lot easier than a KVM switch. Since all 3 of my monitors are currently using their DVI ports, would I be able to use VGA on the Mac Mini? If so, could someone point out which adapter I would need? I was looking at the Mac Mini features earlier today and I still cannot figure out how the monitor actually connects, whether its the thunderbolt port, HDMI, or the USB ports.

Jul 12, 2013 7:00 PM in response to jedimasterkyle88

Yes in theory you could use a Mini Displayport to VGA adapter, you can only connect a single VGA monitor to the Mac mini this way.

However many people find that the Mac mini is less reliable using VGA connections than DVI. If you could get the PC to use the VGA and then put the Mac mini on DVI that might be better. Check to see if the monitor has any other connectors besides DVI and VGA, maybe there is another better choice.

Digitally switch between PC and Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.