Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clone of drive doesn't have the right name on option-restart

I have created a clone (with Carbon Copy Cloner) of my principal drive in anticipation of both OSX 10.9 and because of Adobe's recent changes for their software (I need to keep the current versions of Adobe CSS) in case I decide to discontinue the monthly update charge we are now stuck with).

The problem is when I do a option-restart to switch the system I want to boot from, the choices shown for drives has a different name for the cloned drive from what shows in the finder. The finder name is "Mtn Lion Bay 2" (a partion on disc bay 2 - Snow Leopard is on the other partition) but when doing the option-boot, the name shows as "EFI boot". Disk utility also shows the name as "Mtn Lion Bay 2".

I have cloned drives before, but don't remember this happening.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 2.8 GHz Quad core, 6 GB ram

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 6:34 PM

8 replies

Jul 11, 2013 7:33 PM in response to babowa

Is a Seagate 1TB drive that has two partitions. The other partition contains Snow Leopard. It was previously a partition of Lion. Carbon Copy Cloner also created a recover partition a boot drive should have.

The drive was cleared of previous material and reformatted.

I can access the cloned material, so it seems only the drive name is the oddity.

Jul 11, 2013 7:55 PM in response to Derryl S

Well, frankly I'm stumped - have you tested it to make sure it's working (booting up)? If so, and it's working, I don't know what to suggest excep to maybe delete the current name and retype it, then log out/back in,

Edit: out of curiosity, have you checked what it is called in System Preferences > Startup Disk?

Jul 11, 2013 8:18 PM in response to Derryl S

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

{ diskutil list; echo; diskutil cs list; } | open -f -a TextEdit

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C).

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V).

The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear.

A TextEdit window will open with the output of the command. If the command produced no output, the window will be empty. Post the contents of the TextEdit window (not the Terminal window), if any — the text, please, not a screenshot. The title of the window doesn't matter, and you don't need to post that.

If any personal information appears in the output, anonymize before posting, but don’t remove the context.

Jul 11, 2013 8:33 PM in response to babowa

The cloned drive is bootable and can be unmounted with Disk Utility.

All three bootable systems show under the correct name in finder and disk utility. Appears incorrectly only in the option-boot drive screen.

On option-boot I see Macintosh HD, EFI boot, Snow Leopard, Recovery-10.8., and Recovery HD, and the Time Machine drive in bay three. The fourth bay does not show because it does not have a bootable system on it.

I renamed the patition from Mrn Lion Bay 2 to Mountain Lion Bay 2 them did a regular boot to defaut system, then an option-restart. The disc EFI boot drive name remained unchanged.

I was able to do the update Aof irPort on both Mountain Lion discs this evening.

I am wondering if the creation of the recovery partition by Carbon Copy Cloner might be causing the problem since both are the same operating system. It would be quite a long process to initialize that partition and re-clone the drive.

Jul 11, 2013 8:54 PM in response to Linc Davis

Here is the result of the Terminal activity (only took a few seconds)

The results seem to show the correct name and only the option-reboot has the incorrect name.

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 999.3 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Time Machine 3 999.9 GB disk1s2

/dev/disk2

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk2

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS Mountain Lion Bay 2 753.6 GB disk2s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk2s3

4: Apple_HFS Snow Leopard Bay 2 200.0 GB disk2s4

/dev/disk3

0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk3

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1

2: Apple_HFS Storage Bay 4 2.0 TB disk3s2

No CoreStorage logical volume groups found

Jul 11, 2013 9:35 PM in response to Derryl S

I'll assume that when you select the mystery icon in Startup Manager, you actually do boot into the volume you expect.

You may be able to fix the problem by re-blessing the volume, as follows.

Back up all data.

If you have more than one user account, you must be logged in as an administrator to carry out these instructions.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below to select it:

sudo bless --folder "/Volumes/Mountain Lion Bay 2/System/Library/CoreServices" --bootefi

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C).

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V). You'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. Confirm. You don't need to post the warning.

If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator. Log in as one and start over.

You can then quit Terminal. Test.

Clone of drive doesn't have the right name on option-restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.