Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move a clip with transitions attached on the primary storyline?

One more frustrating problem with the mysterious magnetic timeline: on the priumary storyline I created a text clip with a gap clip on each side, then added cross dissolve at the beginning and end of the clip so that it fades in and out to black:

User uploaded file

Now I want to reposition this text in the timeline, mantaining the fade in/out at the head and tails. In FCP7 this was simple as a gap in the timeline simply showed black and the clip could be moved as one piece. In FCPX when I try to move the text clip with the P position tool, the transitions disappear after repositioning. Extremely frustrating:

User uploaded file

If I select the clip and the fades together, plus the gap clip at the end, and move them together with the Position tool then the fade out is retained, but the fade in still disappears. I've also tried rolling from the fade in from the gap clip before it, but instead of rolling the clip ahead this shortens the fade (I think the behavior of trimming and rolling transitions is totally wacky). The trim tool is also useless in this situation as you can only select one edit point at a time with it.

The only solution I found is to cut the gap clip before the transition, then move the text clip and transitions with the P tool. This will create two abuting gap clips before the text clip, but allow the transitions to remain intact. Not hard, but annoying to have to do

Often I have to adjust the position of a text clip in the timeline like this after adding the transitions to get the timing right. Is there any way to move the clip while retaining the transitions at the beginning and end? It would be so much easier to be able to roll the edges of the gap clips so that I didn't have to make extra edits and workarounds.

The problem seems to be that the gap clip acts as like a regular black slug video clip in some cases, but not in other case. When you move a clip in the primary storyline a gap clip is automatically created to fill a gap -- okay, fine. But you can roll the edges of a video clip with the P tool, but not a gap clip. ***?

I'm using the latest update, 10.0.8. I will be submitting this to Apple as well....

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 12, 2013 8:41 AM

8 replies

Jul 12, 2013 8:51 AM in response to JBVideo

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to achieve here. From my perspective it looks like you may be overusing the position tool - perhaps to replicate the behavior of FCP 7?

I very seldom use the position tool. Rolling the gap clips can be done with the regular arrow tool - *that* is one example of the magnetic timeline working for you.

Jul 12, 2013 9:46 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I am trying to move the text clip forward with the transitions still attached. The difference is that in FCP7 you can leave a gap before a dissolve and it will fade in from black. If you move the text clip, the dissolve moves with it, still attached.

In FCPX however, the gap has to be a gap clip. So the dissolve is attached to both the gap clip and to the text clip. Once you put the dissolve on the edit point, there is no way to move the text clip forward or back on the timeline without deleting the dissolve. Or, if you move the clip forward or back with the Position tool (necessary to create a gap) then the transitions just disappear.

Basically, I am looking to roll the transition with the clip.

I could use the opacity handle on the text clip (using "show video animation") in stead of a dissolve, but then I have no control over the shape of the dissolve curve and I'd have to add extra handles to the text clip to center the dissolve where I want it.

Regarding "I very seldom use the position tool. Rolling the gap clips can be done with the regular arrow tool - *that* is one example of the magnetic timeline working for you."

This is true, but clips behave differently when you you roll with the P tool vs the A tool. With the A tool, other clips are magnetically rippled forward or back on the timeline to maintain their relative relationship and avoid all gaps. With the P tool, video clips maintain their position on the timeline, creating or trimming gap clips when a gap is created or filled. The problem arises when a transition is attached to the clip you are moving or trimming.

I understand in priniciple why it behaves the way it does, but it's inconvenient in this case, and inconsistent with the normal behavior of gap clips when a transition isn't involved.

In my mind the transition should be anchored to the video clip, not to both the video and gap clip when there is a transition between the two.

Jul 12, 2013 10:16 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I guess this a complaint more than a question then. This is an operation that is very simple in FCP7, but a pain in FCPX.

And no, when I cut the title with transitions the transitions disappear when I paste it. FCPX just doesn't give priority to the video clip when there is a tranasition between a video and a gap clips.

If there's no transition on the edit I can move the text clip forward or back with the P tool and it just extends or trims the gap clip that is before it. So why would it be a problem in FCPX's logic to do the same thing when there is a transition on the edit between the video clip and the gap clip? Just keep the transition attached to the video clip and roll it all together.

Jul 12, 2013 1:32 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

The issues is that there is a transition both at the head of the gap clip, and at the tail. This is what I am looking at:

User uploaded file

As far as I can tell there is no way to lenghten that gap clip (labeled in the picture) so that I can move the clip on the right farther down the timeline. If I select the "clip to move" and the transitions at the head and tail of it together and move it with the P tool than "the dissolve in" disappears.

There's no where that I can trim or roll that particular gap clip once it has a transition on each side of it.

The solution I found is to slice that gap clip in the middle with the blade. All of a sudden the transition will move as intended and I can extend the gap clip from the cut point:

User uploaded file

It's just strange to me that a gap clip will aoutomatically extend itself when it doesn't have a transition on each end, but put a transition on each end and FCPX can't figure out how to deal with it when the neighboring clips are moved.

How do I move a clip with transitions attached on the primary storyline?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.