Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone has no service but signal is strong and wifi available

I am traveling abroad and called my carrier from home to be sure I could get and send texts. My phone says no service but I have wifi in this hotel and my iPad works. iPad is AT&T but iPhone is Verizon.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jul 12, 2013 8:06 AM

6 replies

Jul 12, 2013 8:38 AM in response to Carolanntheresa

This isnt really a troubleshooting step for you phone, but an option that may be available to you depending on where your travels have taken you is that you can actually purchase sim cards for a reasonable price that will allow your phone to work using the towers available, just something to think about

-----Also make sure that in your settings that you have the roaming settings set to Voice & Data as well as your international roaming setting turned on, purchasing a local sim card should resolve this issue if verizon has unlocked that service, which from what you have said it sounds like they did, so next i would just go purchase a sim card, see if that works, if/when it does contact verizon to straighten things out

Jul 12, 2013 8:41 AM in response to tbarrack1022

tbarrack1022 wrote:

but an option that may be available to you depending on where your travels have taken you is that you can actually purchase sim cards for a reasonable price that will allow your phone to work using the towers available, just something to think about

This would require Verizon to unlock the phone. Verizon does not sell the iPhone 4S unlocked, though they will unlock it for customers in good standing.

Jul 12, 2013 8:43 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

The customer had stated in another post with the same question she had been in good contact with Verizon and that she would have service at her new location, that said since im assuming the are she has moved to, being in south africa CDMA is probably not supported, Verizon would have known and probably acknowledged this, but who knows, i hope for her sake they will allow her to use that service, i dont see why they wouldnt, but with no service she really has no way to contact them

iPhone has no service but signal is strong and wifi available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.