Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 in Macbook Pro

Dear all,

Bought a mbp 1.83ghz with 1.5gb ram. Installed drivers for MS Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 from Cd.

After install, rebooted. In SYS PREFERENCES, once icon called Microsoft Mouse but when click cannot open, message saying someting cannot be run.

Went to MS website and downloaded latest driver (ver 6.0) which is compatible with MAC OS X. Install and rebooted.

Click MS Mouse in SYS PREFERENCES, and can adjust settings. Then when click UNIVERSAL in SYS PREFERENCES, the color of the screen turns "ugly", the kinda of like 16 / 256 color in Windows safe mode. Got panic and restart, but still the same.

Nw downloading 10.4.6 update as mine was 10.4.5. Hope tis will help. BTW, i'm formatting my MBP now and do a clean install. Sigh..just got it a few hours and has to do this 😟

Anyone out there using this mouse and having problem with it? Thanks.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Jun 10, 2006 9:21 AM

3 replies

Jun 10, 2006 9:52 AM in response to Nee Kun

Actually, I don’t have mush use for MS products as they are not typically on top of their game with such devices. In any event, I’m sorry to hear that you’re already reinstalling the OS/software. I can assure you that this is not typical and may well be due to the driver being incompatible with the Mac OS (version). Please ensure that you install all updates recommended by “software update”. Ensure that you also have the latest firmware installed. Continue to scan this forum often to learn more.
Regards,

Jun 10, 2006 10:28 AM in response to Digital Dude

Thanks. I m replying nw with my jz feshly formatted mbp. Still learning to adapt the os coz i am migrated frm windows xp.

I am doing a software update as well. Me dont wanna install the mouse driver, so nw jz plug in the mouse and use it as a noral usb optical mouse, without the zoom and other features.

Shall update the thread if there is any new findings.

PS: I love my Mac 🙂 After being so many years of windows users.

Nov 12, 2006 4:56 PM in response to Nee Kun

I just bought (today) the Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000, it could be quite different from the Notebook one but i've found many mices from Microsoft use the same driver.

I did the same thing, installed the software from the CD, rebooted and when i go System Preferences and click on the new mouse panel icon it says it cannot be opened. This has happened to my before, and it's due to the incompatibility of the driver either with the MacOSX version or with the Intel chip.

Then i downloaded the last drivers from Microsoft website (ver 6.0) but i thought those were the same the CD had, but i was wrong 'cause the CD version is 5.3

I finally installed the new drivers (6.0) and rebooted. Everything works fine now. I could configure the mouse with it preference pane, and nothing happened with my colors even when i clicked several times on the Universal Access panel icon.

So far, my new Microsoft mouse is working great.

Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 in Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.