Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AVCHD Disk stutters

I used FCP X to "Create Disk" from edited Camcorder files (1920x1080, 59.94fps) and the results were pretty good for a standard definition DVD (720x480), even viewed on a 50" TV. But when I send the original Project to Compressor and make an H.264 "AVCHD Disk" to burn with red laser on a standard DVD, even the Preview is choppy. I note that the 59.94 frame rate is grayed out and 29.97 is the automatic and only option. Why is that, given the source at 59.94? And does that explain the stuttering? (the video seems to pause briefly and get out of sync with the audio; a real problem recording a jazz trio!). The bit rate was 7Mbps average and 17 Mbps maximum, with Multi-pass selected. (My purpose was to see if the higher resolution AVCHD Disk was worth the much longer processing time. If not, then what was the point in recording in full HD?) I would appreciate any explanations or advice about improved workflow.

Compressor, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), iMac 500GB and ext. 1TB & 3TB HD

Posted on Jul 12, 2013 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2013 3:21 PM

Is your Timeline native AVCHD or optimized?

Try 2 things:

Export a short section of your movie as a Pro Res 422 Master File and drag that file into Compressor. Play it in the preview window.

Or just do the whole thing in FCPX. You don't need Compressor to made a red laser AVCHD disk unless you're adjusting the bit rate. Just start with the Blu Ray Share setting and if a DVD optical drive is selected it will automatically know what you want.

Russ

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2013 3:21 PM in response to bobinma

Is your Timeline native AVCHD or optimized?

Try 2 things:

Export a short section of your movie as a Pro Res 422 Master File and drag that file into Compressor. Play it in the preview window.

Or just do the whole thing in FCPX. You don't need Compressor to made a red laser AVCHD disk unless you're adjusting the bit rate. Just start with the Blu Ray Share setting and if a DVD optical drive is selected it will automatically know what you want.

Russ

Jul 12, 2013 5:07 PM in response to Russ H

TImeline is Pro Res 422 optimized. Thanks for the prompt reply; both suggestions worked.

I exported a test clip (but I had to make a New Project of it, as I couldn't find a way to just export/share a Range Selection of the huge original; is there a way??).

I then exported the New Project test clip (via Share to Export file), dragged into Compressor; it played fine.

Then I added the Blu Ray destination to Share and burned the clip onto a DVD; You were right; it worked fine. However, it was 1280 x 720 (59.94) for Blu-Ray; is there a way to get 1920x1280?

Finally, is there a way to make a disk burn image of that for future burning, instead of having to insert another blank DVD as soon as the first is finished?

While I much appreciate the two pragmatic solutions, I'm still curious about what went wrong originally in case I do need to use Compressor in the future.

Thanks again.

Jul 12, 2013 5:29 PM in response to bobinma

bobinma wrote:

; both suggestions worked.

That's great.

bobinma wrote:

I exported a test clip (but I had to make a New Project of it, as I couldn't find a way to just export/share a Range Selection of the huge original; is there a way??).

Easiest way is to use the Range Tool.

Let me think about the what went wrong qyuetion a bit.

Russ

Jul 12, 2013 7:14 PM in response to Russ H

I used Range Tool to highlight desired clip(s) in Timeline, but the Share command still did the complete file. In other words, there was no "Share Selection" capability.

Is it necessary to use Range Tool and then Copy/Paste into a New Project before Share(ing)? That's what I had to do for the Test Clip.

And if you get a chance, please tell me if it's possible to Share 1920x1080 instead of the Blu-Ray 1280x720.

Jul 12, 2013 9:19 PM in response to Russ H

Yes, FCP X 10.0.8. Using Help files I found the Share Range (the Inspector and Destination buttons near the right end of tool bar, while I had been using the File/Share command on the Menu Bar.). So thanks for the push to read more instructions.

One can export 1080p for Apple iPad, and in files, but I still don't see how to change the Blu-Ray Destination to specify 1080p (instead of 1280x720) to burn on a standard DVD, while still getting the benefit of "it knowing" I want to use a red laser burner. As you recommended initially: "Just start with the Blu Ray Share setting and if a DVD optical drive is selected it will automatically know what you want."

Thanks again. That's my last question for this thread.

Jul 13, 2013 3:40 AM in response to bobinma

Glad you followed up on the resolution question – thanks to which I learned something new. Both FCPX and Compressor would appear to offer a kind of choice: if you want 1080 to Blu Ray (or AVCHD) the source has to be 23.98 or 29.97 fps; 59.94 source files get limited to 1280x720.

I'm not sure why this is so except that 1080p60 is a non standard format for delivery. (And the disks are going to be encoded at 29.97 regardless.) And I've only tested a couple of files, so it may not be the complete answer; perhaps it varies among different 59.94 formats.

Based on those few tests it looks as though the way to get a 1080 AVCHD disk would be first change the frame rate pf the project (custom settings) and then share to Blu Ray, etc. Or in Compressor choose 29.97 in the Encoder.

If I learn anything more about this, I'll tack it on to this thread.

Russ

Jul 14, 2013 11:36 AM in response to Russ H

I tried your latest suggestions on the large file.

"the way to get a 1080 AVCHD disk would be first change the frame rate of the project (custom settings) and then share to Blu Ray, etc."

How do I change the frame rate? The only way I found to change the frame rate was upon export. Using the AVCHD Disk Destination at 1920x1080 (29.97), I burned a DVD that my Blu-Ray player (which does accept AVCHD) couldn't play. Using the Blu-Ray Disk Destination, it worked fine, as had the test file, but of course at 1280x720 (59.94).

So I tried the other suggestion:

I exported a Master File Pro Res 422 at 1920x1080 (59.94) which shows as a .mov file (138GB). That plays perfectly on the iMac. But when I dragged it (also tried it via Add File) into Compressor, Preview had the same stuttering problem a few minutes into the movie (my test file was too short, apparently).

That seems very significant. I trashed the plist and tried again to no avail. The Encoder was at 29.97, but no sense encoding when Preview shows the source stuttering. Somehow, the simple(?) process of bringing the Master File into Compressor creates the problem.

I realize this must be getting tedious, but perhaps the new knowledge acquired (per your last post) will encourage your further assistance!

Jul 14, 2013 6:32 PM in response to bobinma

bobinma wrote:

How do I change the frame rate?

Do this by creating a new project with custom settings.

I exported a Master File Pro Res 422 at 1920x1080 (59.94) which shows as a .mov file (138GB). That plays perfectly on the iMac. But when I dragged it (also tried it via Add File) into Compressor, Preview had the same stuttering problem a few minutes into the movie (my test file was too short, apparently).

I don't know why this is happening. Others have reported problems with the preview, but I use Compressor a lot and I haven't experienced them. If I take a 1080p60 file and apply a Blu Ray setting, it plays fine – and same if it's 29.97. (Now, if I brought in almost any kind of h.264, it would be a different story.) Have you tried making the disk anyway? Just because it doesn't play smoothly in preview doesn't mean it will necessarily be that way after encoding.

What are your system specs? Look at Activity Monitor to see if you can spot anything out of the ordinary.

Russ

Jul 16, 2013 2:15 PM in response to Russ H

I tried making disks via Compressor. The AVCHD 1080p 29.97 (.264 file) was only 3.81GB, but would not load in my player. The Blu-Ray 720p 59.94 (also a .264 file) was 11.86GB and thus too large for a standard DVD; it wouldn't burn even part of it. So I tried again from a Pro Res 422 Master File with only three songs, but got the error message that "Chapter Marker Track couldn't be written". I switched to plan B.

Having failed via Compressor, I went back to your other suggestion to create a New Project with custom settings in FCP X to get the 29.97fps frame rate that I could Share to Blu-Ray. But even after I specify the 29.97fps frame rate, if I import the Pro Res 422 59.94 file, and move that Event into the Timeline, that's the frame rate I'm stuck with. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to "Transcode Media"?

Or do I export the 59.94 file to a Master File (or Export File) with 29.97 specified?

Jul 16, 2013 3:32 PM in response to bobinma

bobinma wrote:

I tried making disks via Compressor. The AVCHD 1080p 29.97 (.264 file) was only 3.81GB, but would not load in my player.

What brand and model is your player?

But even after I specify the 29.97fps frame rate, if I import the Pro Res 422 59.94 file, and move that Event into the Timeline, that's the frame rate I'm stuck with.

Take a screen shot of your Share dialogue window.

Russ

Jul 16, 2013 7:54 PM in response to Russ H

Samsung BD-C5500 which says it can play AVCHD discs, including those that use the "x.v.Color" format, whatever that is. However, I now note that fine print says "AVCHD format discs need to be finalized", and unless that happened automatically, I didn't take specific actions to "finalize". Perhaps that's why it didn't load?

I conclude from your "Share dialogue window" request that the answer to my last question in the prior post is "yes". So in trying it, I see that the Share window says it will be 29.97 once it is shared (sometime tomorrow!). If so I'll retry all the experiments and report back. Thanks yet again.

Jul 23, 2013 11:36 AM in response to bobinma

Russ: 1. congrats on your new level. 2. Here are the results of all the experiments:

I created the 29.97fps frame rate New Project in FCP X. If I Share Range to a Blu-Ray Export File (which plays ok on iMac), and then use Disk Utility to burn a DVD, the latter won't load on the Samsung, and won't even play properly on the iMac. But if I Share Range directly to Blu-Ray Disk, it burns & plays fine (but curiously, it takes three times as much DVD memory as predicted in the dialogue window). Amazingly, however, I can barely discern (on a 50" HDTV) any visible resolution difference between this and the earlier 720x480 standard DVD burned from FCP X! (Suggesting that it is time to end all this searching for a recordable full HD!).

Still no joy via Compressor, however. Using the preset disk burn Setting "H.264 for Blu-Ray" I get a .264 file that I burn a DVD using Disk Utility, but it doesn't load/play on the DVD player or on the iMac in QuickTime.

So it appears that my alternatives are:

1. Burn a standard DVD (720x480) from FCP X; it actually looks pretty good even on a 50" HDTV.

2. Burn Blu Ray on a standard DVD from FCP X; either 1280x720 at 59.94, or 1920x1080 at 29.97, as you discovered earlier in the thread.

Many thanks again for all the time and helpful information. I will have to be content with standard DVD burning from FCP X, and someday when I have a Blu-Ray burner I'll try again. And perhaps some future Compressor update will reduce the problems I (and others) keep reporting.

AVCHD Disk stutters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.