Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get iCal in Lion to read my old 10.6 calendar files, notational velocity files

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded from 10.6 to 10.8 and did a clean install. I backed everything up using Time Machine and have chosen to transfer most things manually as there were a lot of applications and system files that I did not want to copy over. However, I've run into an issue when trying to transfer over my files for iCal -- I found the old calendar data in Users/my name/Library/Calendars, and copied it over into the Library file on my new machine. There wasn't a Calendars file yet, so I created it. However, when I open iCal, it doesn't show my old calendars-- I tried manually importing them, but it wants me to import each individual event -- there must be an easier way to do this. Where does iCal read its calendar data by default in 10.8? Do I have to do anything additional to get iCal to read it?

Additionally, I can't find my old notational velocity notes -- they should be in Application Support under my old Library files, but I am not seeing them. A spotlight search hasn't yielded anything. Anyone know where they might be? I hadn't changed the default, so I imagine they ought to be there.

Best,

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 12, 2013 2:52 PM

6 replies

Jul 12, 2013 3:00 PM in response to orangerrv

It sounds as if you are copying data to the Library at root level rather than the Library in your Home Folder. This latter is hidden by default in Mountain Lion to prevent inexperienced users from messing with it. You can access this Library by holding the option (alt) key down while clicking on the Finder's 'Go' menu when the user Library will appear as a menu choice.

It is to this Library that you need to copy your calendars for iCal to see them, and where your Notational Velocity files should be.

Jul 20, 2013 1:11 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

A quick look at their web site shows I've misinterpreted what you said - Notational Velocity isn't related to iCal. However if you are still having a problem with that the makers would be the people to ask.

I'm not sure why you can't get iCal files to work if they are in the correct place. In 10.6.8 the Calendar folder includes a folder for each calendar, and these contain the .ics files which represent the actual events. I don't know whether 10.8 has altered the format as I don't use it.

You originally said ' I found the old calendar data in Users/my name/Library/Calendars, and copied it over into the Library file on my new machine.' - did you copy the entire Calendars folder intact?

How do I get iCal in Lion to read my old 10.6 calendar files, notational velocity files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.