Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail for MAC - Unable to handle 2 accounts pointing to the same server

Hi,

I have two accounts on MAIL pointing to the same server.

I am unable to send/receive mails from one of them, since they both point to the same SMTP server.

Is this a restriction on MAIL for MAC?

How does one over come this.

I'd written to Apple support and even made an update suggestion.

But obviously they dont care. It''s been over 8 months since I wrote.

And I am seriously going MAD with this problem!

I've even switched 3 ISP.

Please help.

Rayne Man

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 5:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 7:09 AM

How did you determine "I am unable to send/receive mails from one of them, since they both point to the same SMTP server."? What happens when you try? What error messages do you get?

You can have as many accounts on the same server as you want, if your email provider allows. Each has a unique username and password. The accounts are not aware of each other and each can send/receive for their respective account. So it is not clear to me what the issue is. Are you maybe trying to use the same credentials for two accounts in error?

Your email server likely has thousands of users all using the same server without issue so you having two or more accounts will not cause a problem.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2013 7:09 AM in response to Rayne Man

How did you determine "I am unable to send/receive mails from one of them, since they both point to the same SMTP server."? What happens when you try? What error messages do you get?

You can have as many accounts on the same server as you want, if your email provider allows. Each has a unique username and password. The accounts are not aware of each other and each can send/receive for their respective account. So it is not clear to me what the issue is. Are you maybe trying to use the same credentials for two accounts in error?

Your email server likely has thousands of users all using the same server without issue so you having two or more accounts will not cause a problem.

Jul 14, 2013 2:22 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Hi BobTheFisherman,

Thanks for responding.

So while I understand how mails work on mail servers with UID's and PWD's ...Here's the deal.

When setting up an account, MAIL asks for the SMTP profile setting, (which includes the SMTP mail server). It then creates the SMTP profile.

So if I have two accounts, I set up account 1 with the mail.xxx.com as mail server.

While setting up the second account, I again use mail.xxx.com (as the SMTP server)

So when if I have set up account 1 as the first account with the SMTP server ... while sending mail from the second account, it takes the the settings of account 1, and then the mail reply comes to account 1 instead of account two.

Does this explain my problem?

Do let me know, cause I reall need an solution.

Thanks again.

Jul 14, 2013 5:54 AM in response to Rayne Man

If you already have one SMTP account set up at mail.xyz.com, and you then start manually creating a second SMTP entry for the other account, at mail.xyz.com, Mail will attempt to autofill the first account's details. Do not let it. (Or, if it already has, edit the server name and remove the email address it's added to the end of the server name).

You will need to go in manually to the SMTP server list, add a new entry, remove any auto fill Mail tries to add, and enter the second account address and password.

Matt

Sep 21, 2013 11:38 PM in response to LowLuster

Hi Low Luster,

I agree that Mail has many limitations and productivity drawbacks.

Any suggestions on a better mail client on the MAC platform, but that seamlessly integrated into the other Apple productivity apps like Contacts, Notes, Reminders etc...?

I tried sending feedback to the Mail Dev Team, but I'm not sure they listen.

Thanks again.

Rayne Man

Mail for MAC - Unable to handle 2 accounts pointing to the same server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.