Skip navigation

Mail for MAC - Unable to handle 2 accounts pointing to the same server

329 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2013 11:38 PM by Rayne Man RSS
Rayne Man Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 13, 2013 5:01 AM

Hi,

I have two accounts on MAIL pointing to the same server.

I am unable to send/receive mails from one of them, since they both point to the same SMTP server.

Is this a restriction on MAIL for MAC?

How does one over come this.

I'd written to Apple support and even made an update suggestion.

But obviously they dont care. It''s been over 8 months since I wrote.

And I am seriously going MAD with this problem!

I've even switched 3 ISP.

Please help.

Rayne Man

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • BobTheFisherman Level 6 Level 6 (10,610 points)

How did you determine "I am unable to send/receive mails from one of them, since they both point to the same SMTP server."? What happens when you try? What error messages do you get?

You can have as many accounts on the same server as you want, if your email provider allows. Each has a unique username and password. The accounts are not aware of each other and each can send/receive for their respective account. So it is not clear to me what the issue is. Are you maybe trying to use the same credentials for two accounts in error?

Your email server likely has thousands of users all using the same server without issue so you having two or more accounts will not cause a problem.

• LowLuster Level 6 Level 6 (11,810 points)

Yeah this is a bug, foible, of Mac Mail.

If you want a mail program that actually works correctly you will have to stop using the included Mac Mail program and switch to some other email client.

In the long run you will be saving yourself many headaches that Mac Mail will cause you.

• Matt Clifton Level 7 Level 7 (26,980 points)

If you already have one SMTP account set up at mail.xyz.com, and you then start manually creating a second SMTP entry for the other account, at mail.xyz.com, Mail will attempt to autofill the first account's details. Do not let it. (Or, if it already has, edit the server name and remove the email address it's added to the end of the server name).

You will need to go in manually to the SMTP server list, add a new entry, remove any auto fill Mail tries to add, and enter the second account address and password.

Matt

• Barney-15E Level 7 Level 7 (33,560 points)

Continuing with what Matt says, then, mark the account to only use that SMTP server.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.