Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to find professional income tax preparation software, capable of handling 1065, 1120, 1041, 990, etc. preferably PPR compatible with Mac's OS

Need to find pro tax prep software compatible w/Macs. My software maker, Drake, does not have Mac version. I've checked Pro-Series (no) and maybe 1 other. I don't want to spend Lacert kind of $$ (neither do the majority of longtime Lacert users apparently). Obviously, no Turbo Tax, Tax Cut or any other commercial, deduction & crdit missing commercial software. They would ned to have the ability to 1) convert a few years of Drake to their program, 2) Covert files created on PC to files that 10 OS could use. Also, would like them to have reasonable PPR program, free efile, free unlimited states, capable of 1040, 1065, 1120, & (S), 1041, 990. Built in tax knowledge base. I'd be eternally indebted to you if you found sometghing as intuitive and value oriented as Drake but for OS 10. BEGINNING TO THINK APPLE bends over backwords for artistic tools but not so much business tools. Too bad, I've had a few tax returns that have bordered on art.

I will likely need to add Parallels & Windows 7 OS, preferably 64-bit to this Macbook Air. If so, I do not think I have sufficient memory or storage so would like to download & install onto NFTS (sp?) formatted 1TB HD. I do not know if hard drives, USB hubs, Optical drives etc. that work w/ Windows (as long as you choose correctly btwn SATA & IDE) will work on MacBook Air. Help greatly appreciated. So if you happen to know any pro tax prep software ompatible w/ OS 10 and/or, you could give me some info on what characteristics peripherals would need to have to use on MacBook (I'm hoping that most are inrterchanheable but my hoping ain't gonna make it so. OR if you know any great deals on Parallel-I saw some promos but not from reliable places. If I could find on Bradsdeals or Coupon Cabin I'd feel safe. I've seen an Apple ad for a bundle of software w/ some other decent parts (Snagit) . I'd love to find a promo that applies to the bundle and download all 9programs for $9.99 (right). Too many questions, sorry for any protocol violations. As you might have noticed, a keyboard is high on my agenda- I hate laptop keyboards though Apple's seems better than most. I also hate using scroll pads. Much rather have mouse. Real challenge is to find Bluetooth OS 10 keybrd that has numeric keypad. I wonder if the financial dept. @ apple uses keyboards w/ no numeric keypad, saw one that started at $99. I spent all the $$ I have on a MacBook, none leftover for overpriced peripherals, esp. w/ 2 kidfs going off to college in Sept.

Thanks for allowing me to whine & ramble. Feel free to call me on any breach of protocol as I am 1st time poster.

Thanks for your time and consideration, I HOPE I'M CORRECT IN MY GUT FEELING THAT I've joined the forces for good by switching. Too many PCs ruined by malware.

Bill S

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Need pro tax prep program compatibl

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 5:30 AM

7 replies

Dec 4, 2013 9:19 AM in response to Bill S EA CFP

Bill I've also run into a very similar problem, I own many Macs but I've had a PC for Tax Stuff. My PC broke and I refused to buy another one so I began to search for an alternative. Window's Emulators have given me so much trouble with my Tax Software.

However, I've since found out that Intuit has a cloud based tax solution that works with a MAC because it's all done online. Which means you'll need a reliable internet connection whenever you want to prepare a client's return.

It's suppose to support all of the major returns (1040, 1041, 1065, 1120, 1120S and 990)

I've yet to use this solution, but it's the best thing that I've been able to find so far. This is what I'll be using this upcoming Tax Season.

So I figured that it would be worth mentioning. Good Luck!

http://accountants.intuit.com/tax/online/?s_cid=SEM&s_ev1=SEM_TOE_Brand_Lower-ke yword_proline_tax_online

Dec 30, 2013 9:52 AM in response to Checkmate490

Checkmate490,

I check out your supplied link (thanks) but the per return fees are way to high!!! $39.95 per return until you hit 20 returns then you're looking at $14.95, then you finally get to a competitive price once you hit 50 returns ($9.98). I guess I will continue to stick with my current solution which is running Windows 7 on Parallels 6 on OS X Snow Leopard using TaxACT Preparer's Edition. This solution only costs me $99 for the software (promotional price), $24.95 for each state module (there's an all state module for more $$$) and the per return fee is $9.95 per federal/state return combined.

Dec 30, 2013 3:38 PM in response to Bill S EA CFP

Best of luck with your project, but kindly note that this forum only covers the 10 year old version of OS 10.3 Panther and earlier, so valid response will be limited.

Good place to look for software:

http://www.macupdate.com/

And for free alternatives to some popular software packages:

http://alternativeto.net/

(If you see an ad there for something called MacKeeper, ignore it and on no account install it - it is malware.)

And there is of course also the App Store!

Mar 9, 2015 3:34 PM in response to apnubern

I face the same problem as well now that I am a certified tax preparer in California. Almost all professional tax software is geared for the PC, with the exception of Intuit. I agree the web version is expensive but the only one that can be used IF you go all Mac. However for next year I plan to use my Macbook as a PC so I can download the PC tax software and use it when the Macbook is running as a PC. Taxwise is another online option but you can only use Chrome and I have heard it does not work all that well.

The reason there is no rush to produce Mac versions is that well over 80% of all tax preparers use a pc. Until that changes (or demand gets loud for Mac versions), it is going to be very limited for Mac users wanting to use professional tax preparer software.

Jul 20, 2016 9:25 AM in response to pamartin315

Had the same problem this season myself bought a new Mac instead of pc laptop last May and was distressed to find ProSeries wouldn't work with it. I never thought to check, and wanted the higher level of security Mac provides as well as synchronizing my devices, and my kids have loved theirs. Plus I had been using Word, had purchased the whole Office Suite a few years ago, and use it less in retirement so when MS dropped support (and safety upgrades) I decided to take my business elsewhere. I have a small practice, friends and family and their referred friends and family keep prices low, just to keep my hand in since I retired, and don't like the cost of ProSeries anyway, but it's easy to keep using. If there was an easy switch I would do it, but I settled for buying a Windows 10 machine (not my choice, but too late to quickly find a 7 like the old laptop with the defunct screen, spent a couple hundred bucks, and use it only for taxes, removing battery and unplugging in off season to lesson hacking risk. Pain to navigate Windows after getting used to Mac simplicity, but didn't need to get around it much except a few reference questions and property tax questions, and I don't have client files and info on the machine I use daily. Works for me, and makes the Windows laptop fully deductible as well.

Need to find professional income tax preparation software, capable of handling 1065, 1120, 1041, 990, etc. preferably PPR compatible with Mac's OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.