Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repetitive 'Photos found that have not been imported' message

When opening iPhoto I kept on getting a message saying “2 Photos have been found that have not been imported.” I was then given the option either to import them or not. However, no matter which response I gave, all iPhoto did was create an empty folder named “iPhoto Library Recovered Photos”. It created this file every time I opened iPhoto. Okay, so all I had to do was go through them every now and the to delete them all.

I searched this forum for an answer and found LarryHN’s solution -

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1775444?searchText=not%20imported#8391465

I followed this advice and, when I examined the said 'Import Folder' that is now on my desktop I found a single photo. I'm pleased to say that, upon reopening iPhoto the above message has stopped appearing. So far, so good.

So, with iPhoto still open, I dragged it onto the iPhoto icon in the dock. iPhoto duly imported the photo under the 'Last Import' tab.

However when reopen iPhoto and try to open the said photo I now get a new message saying “A necessary data reference could not be resolved.” then the picture just turns black. Cancelling the message, the Thumbnail reappears so I can at least still see the photo in 'Last Import'.

Any suggestions what may be the cause of this and whether it may be fixed? I suspect not, but I feel it worth asking.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), iMac 24 Mid 2007"

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 9:04 AM

Select the thumbnail and use the File ➙ Reveal in Finder ➙ Original menu option. You'll be taken to the folder inside the iPhoto library that contains the file so you can copy it to the Desktop and open with Preview.

If Preview can open and view it use the File ➙ Export menu to save it as a new jpeg file. Import the new file into iPhoto and see if it can be viewed correctly. If so then delete the problem version.

OT

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2013 9:04 AM in response to El Deanio

Select the thumbnail and use the File ➙ Reveal in Finder ➙ Original menu option. You'll be taken to the folder inside the iPhoto library that contains the file so you can copy it to the Desktop and open with Preview.

If Preview can open and view it use the File ➙ Export menu to save it as a new jpeg file. Import the new file into iPhoto and see if it can be viewed correctly. If so then delete the problem version.

OT

Jul 13, 2013 10:59 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks OT.

Doing this I discovered the file was an old movie file from August 2009 (.MOV). So I will import it into iMovie or something instead, or move it somewhere else until I can decide what to do with it. I had forgotten that my camera can take movies too. I found it in iPhoto Library/Import/100OLYMP. 100OLYMP is also a folder I find on the XD cards used with my camera. The file kind is Apple Quicktime container. Can't imagine why the file hasn't raised a problem before now. It works fine accessed direct in Finder.

Dragging the file onto the Desktop works okay but its icon displays a Lock symbol (unlike the original in the Import folder. So I'm loathe to trash the Import folder on the desktop until I know why the Lock icon is there and whether I can turn it off, if needs,be. Interestingly the file version now on the desktop also shows a frame from the movie. In its 'Get Info' just a generic icon is displayed.

😕

Jul 13, 2013 4:32 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi OT.

I'd gone off and done something else. So I had to re-open iPhoto. That 'Not imported...' message was back again (just the one this time rather than two of them).

Nevertheless I tried the Export ploy. Found the file in iPhoto; Selected 'Original' as you suggested. Chose to save the file to my Desktop - with a modified file name for ease of identification.

Got the message " Exporting.... Unable to create /Users/Username/Desktop/ ".

Only way forward was to cancel.

Jul 15, 2013 10:30 AM in response to Old Toad

There's appears to be something odd going on with my Home folder. The Admin section constantly says it is 'Fetching' and the last mod date was at the end of May 2013.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11373233/MacDiscussions/Fetching%20Screen%20 Shot%202013-07-15%20at%2017.51.20.png

I created another folder on my Desktop and tried to export the .MOV file to it but got the same result as last time.

I tried repairing permissions, but it didn't find anything relevant to my Home folder - just a Java item. And only that item too. Apple must have tidied up the Permissions reports.

Jul 26, 2013 10:56 AM in response to El Deanio

Just got to the bottom of it.

I had to hold down the 'Cmd' and 'Option (Alt)' keys when opening iPhoto to get a Utility menu. Of the options presented, I chose to 'Repair Permissions'. The utility found a problem and I asked it to fix it for me. After this was done the file was finally able to be imported into iPhoto.

Just restarted iPhoto (seemed a bit quicker this time or maybe I was imaging it) and the unimported picture message is now gone.

Repetitive 'Photos found that have not been imported' message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.