Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete a Smart Group in Address Book?

I have a number of groups already set up in my Address Book. Recently, I received a contact card, by email, from someone. When I clicked on it to open it, to see the new info (phone nad email address), it automatically imported itself into my Address Book under something called 'Smart Groups' as Last Import.

Next, I deleted the old card in the group where he was listed and moved the new card into it's place. All the other entries in my groups in my Address Book are all under the heading 'iCloud', which I put in Address Book manually.

Next, I wanted to delete the card under 'Smart Groups', and delete 'Smart Groups' itself too. I looked under all the heaadings in Address Book, and Edit there are options to delete cards and groups, but they are greyed out when I choose 'Smart Groups' and 'Last Import'. Is there a way to do this?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 2GB

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 7:38 AM

1 reply

Jul 15, 2013 11:34 AM in response to schoodle

Hi schoodle,

Welcome to the Support Communities!

You mentioned in your post that your contacts were created in your iCloud account.

You can create and edit groups at www.icloud.com and the changes will be synchronized to all your devices.

Click on the link to the article below to see more details and screenshots.

iCloud: Create a group and add contacts to it

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2667

You can create groups of contacts to make it easier to find specific contacts, such as everyone on your sports team or your healthcare providers, for example.

Contacts includes a default All Contacts group, which can’t be deleted.

Delete a group

1. In iCloud Contacts, if the list of groups isn’t showing, click the groups ribbon User uploaded file at the top of the All Contacts list.
  2. Select the group you want to delete, then press the Delete key.

Deleting a group doesn’t delete the contacts it contains.

Delete a contact from a group

1. In iCloud Contacts, if the list of groups isn’t showing, click the groups ribbon User uploaded file at the top of the All Contacts list.
  2. Select the group that contains the contact you want to delete.
  3. Select the contact, then press the Delete key.

Deleting a contact from a group removes it from that group only.

I hope this information helps ....

Have a great day!

- Judy

How do I delete a Smart Group in Address Book?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.