Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the user space isolated in OS X?

Hello! Can someone clarify is user space is logically isolated from other users and system itsef in OS X?

What do I mean by that:

1) Do any programs installed by user A affect ANY way to programs installed by user B? For example, if I install Adobe flash player or Microsoft office - will it be available to ALL users or just the one that they were installed under?

2) If I delete the user (clearing the disk space) are ANY traces of the user activity in the system are deleted? Programs, files, activity - no tracel at all?

All-in-all I'm askin if each user in OS X works in his own logically isolated "capsule", or like under windows - stupid mess of private andshared files and programs?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 27-inch (late 2012)

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 10:28 AM

1. For the vast majority of cases, no. The account system in OS X allows shared use of application resources among users, but isolates settings and data so those from one user will not affect or in any way apply to another user. There are some global settings for the system and some system-level programs (ie, firewalls and AV software) where this is not the case, but in most other situations complete isolation applies.

2. If you delete a user and it's account folder, then for most intents and purposes the account is gone. There may be residual instances of its UID associated with some file permissions, but its settings and data (at least that within the user account itself) will be removed from the system and no longer be an applicable storage location or account under which files or running process can be associated.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2013 10:28 AM in response to Alejandro_64

1. For the vast majority of cases, no. The account system in OS X allows shared use of application resources among users, but isolates settings and data so those from one user will not affect or in any way apply to another user. There are some global settings for the system and some system-level programs (ie, firewalls and AV software) where this is not the case, but in most other situations complete isolation applies.

2. If you delete a user and it's account folder, then for most intents and purposes the account is gone. There may be residual instances of its UID associated with some file permissions, but its settings and data (at least that within the user account itself) will be removed from the system and no longer be an applicable storage location or account under which files or running process can be associated.

Jul 13, 2013 9:40 AM in response to Alejandro_64

1. Normally, applications are installed in /Applications, a folder where all users can access to, so applications are available for all users. However, some applications may give you the option to install them for an user.

2. System Preferences will give you the option to remove all the files of the user or to keep a disk image with the files. Note that applications installed with this user in /Applications won't be removed

Jul 13, 2013 9:44 AM in response to Alejandro_64

1, It depends on where you install the application. If you install it in the Application folder in your Home folder then only you will be able to use it. If on the other hand you install it in the Applications folder at Root then anyone can use it.

2, With System Preferences you would will be given the option to do that.

In actually fact the User under OS X are the same as Users in Unix since OS X is derived from Unix.

Allan

Jul 13, 2013 12:18 PM in response to Topher Kessler

Could you please tell if I undesrstood correctly- the programs themselves are shared while any their data and settings - are not. And if I set up, for examplbe, Parallels under account A - under account B it would be without any setting at all, as if it was just installed?

So if soem program under one accoutn bacomes buggy I can just delete this user and create a new one instead of reinstalling shole OS (like Windows)?

Jul 13, 2013 12:30 PM in response to Alejandro_64

Think of the main Library you see in the root of your Hard Drive (at C:\, if you will) as an "All Users" Library. If an app needs to store stuff that is common to all users, it will do so in that Library.

Anything in a user's Home folder is isolated from everyone else (except the Public and Sites folders, with others can Read).

For almost all apps, each user can set it up as they wish, not affecting any other users. The settings are stored in Preference List (.plist) files in your user/Library/Preferences folder.

The Libraries are for Apps to use for reference data, not necessarily for user data (like Win 7 uses the term "Library").

Is the user space isolated in OS X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.