Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating USB Boot Drive 10.7

I have a new 64 GB USB Drive with two partitions. I also have a Factory USB 10.7 Drive.

I am attempting to install a bootable coy of 10.7 to the new USB Drive. Using "Option" I can select the USB 10.7 Drive and install it to the new USB Drive. However the install is incomplete as the OS X program is still in packages. When I reboot with the "Option" key the computer does not show the new USB Drive. If I start from the hard drive I can see all the packages on the new USB Drive but cannot complete the install on the new Drive.

What am I doing wrong?

I want to make a fully bootable 10.7.5 USB Drive which ultimately will contain my utilities as well as the OS.

Please advise.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 10:13 AM

I may not have a solid answer to your question, but somehow I was in the same boat as you only difference is I was trying to create a Windows 7 bootable USB.

Try doing this:

1) Open Disk Utility

2) Format/Erase your USB as Mac OS Exteneded (Journaled)

3) Close and Reopen Disk Utility or Click Verify

4) Click and Highlight your USB drive in the left pane

5) Click the Restore tab in the right pane

6) In Source drag the image of your Lion 10.7 (.dmg)

7) In Destination drag your USB drive created from the left pane

8) Check the Erase Destination box

9) Click Restore

thats creating the USB device as if were to be a Lion Boot Disk, I used this technique when partitioning my hard drive and loading Lion on that partition to install Lion

else you can also see the video on YouTube about creating Bootable USB for Win7, you don't need to follow the windows part, but my advise is follow the steps on Mac to allow Lion to see the USB when you hold the Option (Alt) key.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2013 10:13 AM in response to Canoe112

I may not have a solid answer to your question, but somehow I was in the same boat as you only difference is I was trying to create a Windows 7 bootable USB.

Try doing this:

1) Open Disk Utility

2) Format/Erase your USB as Mac OS Exteneded (Journaled)

3) Close and Reopen Disk Utility or Click Verify

4) Click and Highlight your USB drive in the left pane

5) Click the Restore tab in the right pane

6) In Source drag the image of your Lion 10.7 (.dmg)

7) In Destination drag your USB drive created from the left pane

8) Check the Erase Destination box

9) Click Restore

thats creating the USB device as if were to be a Lion Boot Disk, I used this technique when partitioning my hard drive and loading Lion on that partition to install Lion

else you can also see the video on YouTube about creating Bootable USB for Win7, you don't need to follow the windows part, but my advise is follow the steps on Mac to allow Lion to see the USB when you hold the Option (Alt) key.

Creating USB Boot Drive 10.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.