Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 24" imac model 9,1 running OS 10.6.8 and I am experiencing frequent freezes and crashes. How can I solve this problem?

I have a 24" imac model 9,1 running OS 10.6.8 and I am experiencing frequent freezes and crashes. How can I solve this problem?

Hal

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 11:17 AM

6 replies

Jul 13, 2013 2:52 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Baby Boomer,

The drive is 500GB and there is over 110GB of space available. Initially I thought the problem was just with Safari so I reinstalled Safari 5.1.9 but it happens with other applications as well, espcially Vuze which hangs up mostly when I restart the computer. I also reinstalled Vuze, but it freezes or crashes with other programs as well. So I also reintalled OS 10.6.8.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hal

Jul 13, 2013 3:09 PM in response to Hal Frederick

Freezes and crashes are cause by one of 2 things. Bad software or failing hardware. If you haven't installed any new software or updated the suftware that has been installed for the time you've had this Mac then it is probably a hardware problem. Could be the drive, could be memory or some other hardware part. You should take it into a apple store and have it checked out.

Jul 13, 2013 8:34 PM in response to Hal Frederick

As old as your iMac is, have you cleaned out the dust? Dust buildup can lead to over heating issues. Remove any and all things plugged into it including the power cord, Remove the RAM access grille. Vacuum all openings starting with the RAM access area (air intake). Vacuum all ports and plugs, DVD slot and the opening across the top of the rear of the body. Blow compressed air through all your openings and vacuum again to remove any dust you loosend. Reinstall the RAM grille. Plug in the keyboard and mouse if not blue tooth. Insert power cord...

You are now in a perfect position to do a

SMC RESET

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

• Shut down the computer.
  • Unplug the computer's power cord and ALL peripherals.
  • Wait 15 seconds.
  • Attach the computers power cable.
  • Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.
  • It is the 5 second timing that initiates the reset.

Here is a link to a Widget to monitor your temps and other operations:

http://islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

since you are running 10.6.8 did you install the combo update?

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

It is more stable than the regular version.

You could use your original install disc and boot from the disc, run Disc Utility and do a repair disk.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.