Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

every time I open my itunes, my computer shuts down

every time I open iTunes, my computer shuts down, displays a Blue screen and restarts. I am running Vista Home on my computer.Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Windows Vista

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 9:55 AM

10 replies

Jul 14, 2013 4:51 AM in response to tkrieter

I got similar situation sadly. I am using Vista Home 32-bit, as I open itunes everything seems to be fine, yet after a moment of using it or instantly after closing the itunes I receive Blue Screen. I unistalled my itunes and other Apple applications, deleted the files, installed newest version yet it did not helped.

Edit : I found out that my computer crashed because of Apple Mobile Device support process, when I unistalled it the problems are gone, though I am not fully satisfied with such solution but Itunes do not cause computer crash now while using or exiting. Before doing so I updated all drivers on the computer, yet update did not changed anything.

Jul 14, 2013 7:54 AM in response to Daropis

Great find!

I tried everything on my Vista Ulimate 32 bit PC. Virus scans, defrags, chkdsk. Nothing worked until I followed your lead and uninstalled Apple Mobile Device support. Now it is working.

I thought I had unmarked bad HD sectors or something but this is an obvious conflict with Windows which just had a very busy week of automatic updates so it appears that Apple has some debuggung to do, if they even bother with Vista users anymore.

Thanks for sharing your solution.

Jul 15, 2013 4:06 AM in response to Daropis

For me it's still no go. Even after a complete upgrade of all Apple software to latest version I still get the crash. Although now it crashes to BSOD as I exit iTunes. I ran iTunes for ten minutes, doing a lot of different things without a hitch. It then crashed instead when I choose Exit. Ran WinDbg on the dump and indeed it was "PROCESS_NAME: AppleMobileDevi" together with windows system file "IMAGE_NAME: ntkrpamp.exe". I need the "Apple Mobile Device support". Uninstalling is no solution for me. Hope Apple sees this thread and puts out a fixed version soon!

Nov 21, 2015 7:34 AM in response to tkrieter

Hi, just joining in. Lately when playing I-Tunes and after an hour plus the computer will stop, display a black screen and wants me to log in all over again. I use to be able to just start playing music and it would carry on for 7 hours plus. Do I understand that the Apple downloads are the problem....this has started, it seems like after, I upgraded to El Capitan.

Nov 21, 2015 8:38 AM in response to IslandArt46104

This thread is over two years old and it is the iTunes for Windows forum so is often not relevant to Mac users. Since you're using a Mac, I suggest you start your own thread in iTunes for Mac, where other Mac users may be able to offer more recent help, especially since you seem to believe the problem started after upgrading the Mac software.

every time I open my itunes, my computer shuts down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.