Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just purchased Airport Extreme ac and lost internet connection 3X. Reset to factory settings and worked for 2 days then lost connection and remedied by unplugging power supply. Anyone else having problems?

Just purchased Airport Extreme ac and lost internet connection 3X in less than one week. Fisrt time, reset to factory settings and fixed problem. Has occurred 2 additional times and connection re-established by unplugging AP extreme. Anyone else having these problems? Do I have a bad router? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 12:00 PM

13 replies

Jul 16, 2013 2:27 AM in response to ahopp47

Just wanted to join the conversation since I'm having the same issue. Upgraded from the 4th generation since I just ditched cable for Fios 150/65 and wanted to make sure I get the speeds I'm paying for. I have a wireless bridge which consists of 2 ac units and 1 express. Before I go to bed everything is working fine, when I wake up, Airport utility cant find the main unit, nor the express. It only finds the 2nd unit (ac) which has no internet connection. Funny thing is I know the internet is working because I can get online using my nexus tablet. A simple hard reboot fixes the issue, but when I put my 4th generation units back in place this issue doesn't happen.

Any ideas, or should I just wait for another firmware update?

Jul 19, 2013 5:07 AM in response to ahopp47

Yesterday, I updated the AirPort Extreme software as reccomended and lost my Internet connection. I unplugged and re-plugged both the Aiport and modem and the Internet connection came back for a few minutes, then I lost it again.

This went on several times until I could no longer make it work.

I called BrightHouse and they checked my modem today and it works perfectly. The problem resides with the Airport.

Aug 6, 2013 11:00 AM in response to ahopp47

I recently purchased the new Airport Extreme AC router, and I am experiencing odd disconnects, too. My Epson Workforce 610 printer consistently and regularly disappears from my wireless network after an hour or two. I then have to EITHER restart the printer OR restart the router to get the printer to connect again. This is very inconvenient! I did not have this problem before I bought the new AC router. My old 5th-gen Airport Extreme dual N router did not have this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this, or do I need to wait for a firmware update from Apple?

Aug 7, 2013 8:44 PM in response to ahopp47

I ended up returning mine and just sticking to my 2TB time capsule.

Sure I would love more ports for hard connecting devices for faster transfer rate - but will stick with what I have for now. In the meantime, boy it sure would be nice if Apple would just add another port (instead of 3?) like every other router manufacturer offers...

Come on Apple, it's kind of annoying.

Dec 23, 2013 1:30 PM in response to McGIO

I definitely think this is a Mavericks issue. My iMac running Mavericks is the ONLY system in the house that drops the network randomly while all other systems never lose the network. No idea how to resolve this, but here is the workaround I'm posting:

I've had the 'network drop' issue with my Airport Extreme for the last 2 months. It reconnects when I pull the ethernet cable and plug it back in. I've tried downgrading the AE firmware, resetting to factory, etc. Nothing worked. I finally threw in the towel and created a script that monitors my network connectivity and restarts my interface if it senses it has dropped:

##############

#!/bin/ksh

while true

do

yup=`ping -c1 -t2 www.google.com|grep from`

if [[ -n $yup ]]

then echo "Internet is connected!"

else

ifconfig en0 down; ifconfig en0 up

echo "Down at `date +%m%d%Y%H%M%S`">>./dropped.out

fi

sleep 5

clear

done

###############

I know its a workaround, but its saving me the headache of constantly pulling my cable and putting it back in!

Good luck!

-Mike Gray

Dec 25, 2013 3:04 PM in response to mikengray

Mikengray,

I've been chasing this issue for awhile and just narrowed it to the Extreme AC. I'm running Mavericks on a 2011 iMac and the printer seems to be working fine. My new MacBook Air running Mountain Lion just lost all communication with the printer. I tried reinstalling and all that I achieved was totally losing the printer driver. I did get the driver back after switching between 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. The computer would then list the printer but when I tried to print the error message was, printer not found.

Finally, in desperation I briefly pulled the plug on the Extreme AC and now everything is back to normal. So, at this point, I'd conclude that Mavericks is not the culprit...it's router.

At the same time, I never lost the printer on the iMac while losing the printer on the MBAir. The router only lost communication with the Air.

I'm sure I haven't seen the last of this issue, or a dozen others that have plagued me since upgrading to Mavericks.

I'll try the workaround and hope for the best.

Thanks

Steve

Dec 27, 2013 10:08 AM in response to VJH

Thanks for the update VJH. I had to lower the timeout vaule on my script to 3 seconds instead of 5 because when I'm doing heavy traffic it drops the internet almost every 2 minutes! Very frustrating! I'm wondering now if it has anything to do with proximity to the router. My iMac is right next to the router and drops all the time, but anything further away works perfectly.

On a different note, I keep trying new things suggested (turning off bluetooth, creating a new network location, etc), none of which seems to change anything. Let me know if you turn anything up!

-Mike

Dec 27, 2013 10:18 AM in response to mikengray

Mike, both my MacBook Air and iMac are sitting on the same table, about 10 feet from the AC router. I have not had any trouble with the Mavericks iMac It's the Mountain Lion MBA that seems to be the culprit, although I have not experienced the problem since re-booting the router. I'll holler if it happens again.

Steve

Just purchased Airport Extreme ac and lost internet connection 3X. Reset to factory settings and worked for 2 days then lost connection and remedied by unplugging power supply. Anyone else having problems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.