Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory Resetting OS X 10.6.8

I don't have the (OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard) disk, but was wondering if I can download OS X Mountain Lion through the app store, and then Resetting from that software. I guess my question is, is this possible?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 12:05 PM

2 replies

Jul 13, 2013 5:17 PM in response to ComeOnSon92

What are you having trouble with exactly?

What are you experiencing or seeing on the screen?

What has lead you to where your are now and where do you want to go?

What is your Apple > menu > About this Mac > more information > Model Identifier (ex: "MacBook Pro 4,1") ??

What is you RAM amount? Is your OS X version 10.6.8?

Open your Activity Monitor and click on drive usage and tell us how much in percentage it is full.

Open the Terminal program in your Applications/Utilities folder and copy/paste each line below into Terminal and press enter after each.

kextstat -kl | awk ' !/apple/ { print $6 } '>~/Desktop/kextstat.txt

ps -A >~/Desktop/process.txt

ls -@AOen L*/Preferences>~/Desktop/preferences.txt

Then open the three files appearing your Desktop using TextEdit, then Select All text and Copy/paste the results from each of the files into your problem post thread here.

This will tell us your running kext files, your active processes and your preferences files.

Jul 13, 2013 5:22 PM in response to ComeOnSon92

ComeOnSon92 wrote:

I don't have the (OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard) disk, but was wondering if I can download OS X Mountain Lion through the app store, and then Resetting from that software. I guess my question is, is this possible?

No, it will keep your machine the same and just upgrade OS X to Mountain Lion and your PPC based software and older Intel software will no longer function.

So your just heaping more trouble on yourself.

If you need 10.6 disks, just call Apple with your Model Identification number or Serial number (if it's a 2011 Mac) and they will send you the correct ones.

If your problem is local Users account related, you can create a new Admin User account (system preferences) and transfer files there and delete the old one.

Combine two+ Users Accounts on the same machine

Factory Resetting OS X 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.