Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use older Airport Extreme in a WDS Network

I would like to use my older Airport Extreme model a1034 to extend my wifi connection in my home. We just bought the new Time Capsule and we do not have Ethernet anywhere else in the house. Is there a way to extend the network without an Ethernet cable or is this only a feature in the newer models? If there is a way, how do you do it? (latest version of Airport Utility not compadible with this Airport model)

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 9:11 PM

2 replies

Jul 13, 2013 9:21 PM in response to dvit123

Yes, it is possible, in the sense such that if you are truly motivated to create a WDS you can. Read the applicable instructions here:

Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations

Expand the directions until you find the link to Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a Wireless Distribution System (802.11b/g)

Your challenge will require several workarounds, not the least of which that you will need an older, unsupported version of AirPort Utility to configure your original AEBS. In the end you are not likely to be pleased with your network's performance, even if you get everything to work perfectly.

Edit: As Bob says if the ability to participate in a WDS is gone entirely in the new Time Capsule, then it is not possible. Be grateful for that 😉

Message was edited by: John Galt

How to use older Airport Extreme in a WDS Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.