Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect to AirPort Time Capsule remotely via Windows 8?

Is their a way to connect to the new AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac remotley via Windows 8, 7, or XP? I've tried to open up the smb port (445) but i get no luck on my mac or pc. I opened the afp port (445) and i get right in. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 9:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 8:08 PM

SMB is blocked by 90% of ISP's around the world.. the number of unprotected windows computers that would be exposed opening SMB would probably cause the WWW to collapse.

SMB is entirely unsafe.. it is a local LAN protocol to never ever be used over the internet. It has poor security and when people setup LAN sharing it is often setup with none.

The TC does not expose SMB to WAN.. only AFP..

And no windows computer has AFP protocol add ons.

Summary.. it cannot be done.

Now the right way.. Use a Mac. Either directly or via BTMM and iCloud.

Or relegate the TC to bridge and buy a proper vpn router.. Connect to the network using vpn and you can fully access all network resources as if you were on the local lan. A vpn router is not expensive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2013 8:08 PM in response to holmesfromillinois

SMB is blocked by 90% of ISP's around the world.. the number of unprotected windows computers that would be exposed opening SMB would probably cause the WWW to collapse.

SMB is entirely unsafe.. it is a local LAN protocol to never ever be used over the internet. It has poor security and when people setup LAN sharing it is often setup with none.

The TC does not expose SMB to WAN.. only AFP..

And no windows computer has AFP protocol add ons.

Summary.. it cannot be done.

Now the right way.. Use a Mac. Either directly or via BTMM and iCloud.

Or relegate the TC to bridge and buy a proper vpn router.. Connect to the network using vpn and you can fully access all network resources as if you were on the local lan. A vpn router is not expensive.

Connect to AirPort Time Capsule remotely via Windows 8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.