Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mbp security measures, what makes sence?

I am expecting my new MBP any day.

As I have always confidential information on my MBP, I like to ask you folks what are the best security measures one can take in case it gets stolen and maybe also prevention (happened once to me on the airport, they cut the shoulder strap and ran off).

I can see FileVault makes sense, but would it be an idea to mark it with a invisible marker, take other measures in place, etc.?

Look forward to your experience and recommendations.

MBP, MM, MBP - 10.6 + Windooz XP on a hard partition

Posted on Jul 14, 2013 2:26 AM

2 replies

Jul 14, 2013 3:02 AM in response to ChangeAgent

Congrats to your new MBP

Filevault is a pretty secure way to have your hard disk/SSD encrypted. If your want to go one step further, google & download a program for encrypting individual files. There are plenty of it...

Filevault can also be used to create an encrypted USB stick, which you can use to store all confidential data. When travelling, you can "clean" your Mac and have the stick not in your laptop bag but somewhere else. I would even advise to have all sensitive data e.g. on your company´s server and travel with a clean device only, downloading data via a VPN connection when arrived at your destination. There are countries in this world, where it can happen that your laptop gets conficated at immigration and returned to you some hours later....we can guess what happened in between... So clean your Mac when travelling to destinations when you are concerned of industry espionage

If you are concerned that your Mac gets stolen, install "Find my Mac", it will locate your device when it is switched on and connected to the internet.

A invisible marker has the disadvantage that it is invisible. So, it only helps when found and it has to be clearly identify it as yours, but first it has to be found, and the marker doesn´t help with it.

Jul 14, 2013 5:00 AM in response to mac_kal

Brilliant and thank you. Good info.

I do not think it is an option to pull data down form my server (I am just a private person).

The USB stick is an idea. and no I do not travel to those kind of destinations.

The invisible marker (UV) was an idea for when it gets found. I have friends in the police and the say it is the first thing they check if the suspect something is stolen.

"Find my Mac". as you know they need to go online and even then it is often little use as the location it shows might be densely populated, or the switch you go through from the connection services 50 households.

anybody any more thoughts?

mbp security measures, what makes sence?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.