Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I add my Mac to my trusted device to the 2 step verification

How can I add my mac to my trusted decive to the 2 step verification?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2011-13 inch MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 14, 2013 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2013 8:03 AM

You cannot use a Mac as a 'trusted device' - it has to be an iOS device.

7 replies

Dec 2, 2015 12:51 PM in response to DrRadium

I respectfully disagree. At least two step verification adds a bit more security. I use rather long and cryptic passwords for all my stuff. For my iPhone, I always use fingerprint identification to avoid entering the long password. It wasn't all that reliable until I found tips to make it so. But for people who leave their stuff without secure passwords, I'm afraid no level of additional security would help them much.

Apple really ought to provide tips on security, but they seem to believe everything they make is completely self-explanatory. Apparently they believe detailed instructions would confuse all of us who aren't certified Apple geniuses! hahaha

Dec 2, 2015 1:54 PM in response to JustSomeOldGuy

I can see in your situation it might be worth it. But I have a 5C with no fingerprint. More problematic is that because the phone is the verified device, no second factor is required to buy things or sign onto things with it. It only requires one factor to authenticate. The item that roams with me doesn't get the security advantages of two factor authentication, only my stay at home mac does. In other words, the item that is most likely to fall into others hands and most needs two factor authentication is not two factor protected and the one that does have it, I am barely concerned about the chance of misuse. Under such conditions, I'm not seeing much advantage. If the situation were reversed and I could verify the mac and de-verify the iphone, it would most certainly be worth any hassles as there would be a security advantage in this case.

How can I add my Mac to my trusted device to the 2 step verification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.