Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some of my songs are greyed out on iTunes?

Some of my songs on iTunes are greyed out. I cannot play them, nor can I edit them or delete them. It gives me the option to delete but when I click it, they do not delete. I tried looking in my Music folder through my computer folders and the songs are not listed. When I went to the iTunes store to try and redownload them, it says they are 'Downloading' but they obviously are not. I have a Macbook Pro. It won't let me try to put the songs on my iPhone either because they are greyed out. I do not have iTunes match. This problem does not involve my iPhone 5. Just a problem with iTunes. Can someone help me? Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 14, 2013 8:02 AM

6 replies

Aug 8, 2014 7:55 PM in response to abby480

ℹ I recently had the same problem. It appears there are a lot of ways "ghost songs" are created. In my case, I was attempting to add some new songs to my iPod, but I didn't have enough storage space available. This is when I saw the greyed out songs. There were also duplicates of old songs. I unplugged my device, closed iTunes, and deleted a few apps and ended up freeing up about 1 gigabyte. Then I plugged in my iPod and opened iTunes. I let my iPod sync completely. The greyed out songs loaded, and I was able to delete the duplicates as well. Hope this helps!

Some of my songs are greyed out on iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.