Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice of voiceover

Is the female voice the only one available 4 English US? Love my. V O b would prefer male voice.

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1

Posted on Jul 14, 2013 10:00 AM

3 replies

Jul 16, 2013 5:38 AM in response to biblioholic

Thanks Radio man. I don't have Siri though, having only a 4. Not looking forward to getting it either. I actually wanted to change the "voiceover" voice though. I do have to disagree with the guy from Apple in the article you linked. He said, "You can't just slap a ...voice on...". But haven't blind people been doing that for decades? Ever since Vert Plus and Artic BV, not to mention their less effective predessessors, we have been doing just that with our computers and except for aesthetics, male and female voices don't change the way we interact with our computer. I prefer a male voice for the same reason I prefer certain book narrators. Straight aesthetics. I prefer one female or one male over another and prefer male over female probably because of my own gender and orientation. Interesting discussion though about trusting a gps directions with a female voice. Personally I don't trust any gps yet regardless of the gender of the voice. Definately a thought provoking article though.

Jul 16, 2013 6:15 AM in response to biblioholic

Nice post biblioholic. I kind of thought you might want to upgrade to an iphone 5. I would, and do prefer the soothing tones of the female voice over the more business like tones of a male voice. Perhaps that is because I spent the first four or five years of my life being doted on by three women, including my Mom. All three of the men in our household were busy serving their country in the US Army Aircorps, Navy, and regular Army during World War two. The women treated me like a little prince, so I have a special place in my heart for all Ladies.

However, I do understand your preference for the male voice over, as was stated in your well written post.

Voice of voiceover

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.