Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13" MBP Retina / ML slow to wake

I have a small issue where when I open the lid on my Macbook Pro Retina 13" after it has been closed for a while it takes a little long (5 seconds or so) till it lets me input the password. If the lid has only been closed for a little while it lets me input the password right away.

This is not a problem that just began but one that has always been there since I bought the Macbook Pro.

I bought the MBP about 2 months ago and it came pre-installed with Mountain Lion.

Specs:

Late 2012 MBP 13" with Retina, 8GB DDR3, OS X Mountain Lion, 128GB SSD

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 14, 2013 9:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2013 10:45 PM

With the Power Nap feature enabled, the computer enters a so-called standby mode after it has been in sleep on battery power for more than a certain time (one hour, by default.) In that mode, the contents of memory are saved to a file, and then the power is turned off. When the computer wakes up, the contents of memory are restored from the file. As a result, waking from sleep takes longer than it otherwise would. The benefit is that sleep can be prolonged indefinitely without draining the battery or having to reboot.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2013 10:45 PM in response to Dougal222

With the Power Nap feature enabled, the computer enters a so-called standby mode after it has been in sleep on battery power for more than a certain time (one hour, by default.) In that mode, the contents of memory are saved to a file, and then the power is turned off. When the computer wakes up, the contents of memory are restored from the file. As a result, waking from sleep takes longer than it otherwise would. The benefit is that sleep can be prolonged indefinitely without draining the battery or having to reboot.

13" MBP Retina / ML slow to wake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.