Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

shut down taking +20s

Hi there,

I bought a macbook air (13" 256GB i5) a couple of weeks ago. Despite the fact that has already been changed once, because the sound was defective, I've found in both I've tried the same behaviour... the first couple of days it would shut down within 2 seconds with all apps closed, but then it started to take 20+ seconds to shut down with all apps closed.... I don't really know if that's normal, but does't look like to me.

Is there anyone else having the same issue? Is it normal?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), i5 256GB 13" 4GB ram

Posted on Jul 14, 2013 11:42 PM

2 replies

Jul 15, 2013 9:06 AM in response to recogemoras

A technician will examine the logs to see how cleanly the OS is dealing with the quitting of apps and processes at shutdown. It is often the case where a particular process is not behaving properly, or quitting it creates a conflict. Once the problem is isolated, it can be determined how best to alleviate the extended shutdown.

As well, make sure you have quit all your apps and properly severed any connections to external drives or devices. You may want to check Activity Monitor before a trial shutdown to see if you recognize anything that you find should not be still running. Ordinary background applications notwithstanding.

shut down taking +20s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.