Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover sony ARW files deleted by Aperture after importing?

I imported some Sony RAW photos (in .ARW format, shot by Sony Nex 6) from a SDXC card into Aperture library with my MacBook Pro, and as usual I let Aperture deleted the files on the SDXC card (i.e. I did not deleted the files using Finder). Unfortunately I accidentally deleted the imported ARW files (as masters in the Aperture library) by Carbon Capy Cloner (I made a copy in the wrong direction after editing the photos). Now I am trying to recover those ARW files. I used several Photo recovery software but they do not recognize any deleted ARW files on the SD card (nor on my hard drive). The best result was from Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery software, which recognizes those deleted ARW files as NEF files but the size of each photo is only 32KB (it shows the photo in its preview). I recovered them, but no software can open those 32KB NEF files. It appears to me that Aperture somehow deleted the ARW files on the SD card in a way (very different from Finder deletion) that photo recovery software can't recognize them. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 1:43 AM

13 replies

Jul 15, 2013 7:22 AM in response to Wanderzhuanyou

Yes, change your workflow. You should not have Aperture or any other program delete the images from the card or computer. Verify the import and then manually delete or re-format.

Card/Camera deletion is different than Finder "Move to Trash", because the whole point is to reclaim space on the card. In the finder you (should!) have the luxury of a lot of extra hard drive space, so keeping deleted files in the trash for a while is not a big deal.

Your only solution is the recovery software.

Jul 16, 2013 7:50 AM in response to Wanderzhuanyou

The best result was from Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery software, which recognizes those deleted ARW files as NEF files but the size of each photo is only 32KB (it shows the photo in its preview).

Have you tried to use the Recovery Software on your harddrive? Or have you completely wiped the drive when you carbone cloned in the wrong direction?

Jul 16, 2013 8:06 AM in response to Wanderzhuanyou

When you clone one drive (the source) onto another (the destination) the destination drive is for all intents and purposes erased and formatted by the cloning operation before the data from the source is copied onto it.

So unless you are willing to spend a good deal of money sending the drive out to a recovery company and even then the results will probably not be good, forget about trying to recover from the HD.

You'll stand a better chance of trying to get them off the cards.

Sorry the news isn;t better,

regards

Jul 16, 2013 9:01 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Yes I understand that trying to recover from my HD is more difficult, so my attention is on the card now. In fact, I tried to use Stellar to recover from the HD as well and I got tons of other photos and non of them is ARW.

I have kept both the HD and the card not being used anymore (I stopped using it right after I made the copy in the wrong direction, and the card is not being used after Aperture deleted the photos), so the data should be there. I tested with Stellar on a new card. I shot some ARW photos and format the card on my NEX 6 camera, then try to recover them with Stellar. Same result: no ARW files, only NEF files of size 32KB or less (the photos in the preview are correct). Strange. I tried Remo software, no ARW either, not even NEF files. I guess I am using the wrong recovery software (although they advertise that they recover ARW files). Is there any recovery software that DOES recover ARW photos shot by Sony NEX 6?

Jul 16, 2013 9:20 AM in response to Wanderzhuanyou

Sounds like the Sony is doing some deep level of erase/format when you delete an image from the card.

You might have better luck attacking this from the Sony end. See if you can find any information, either from Sony or the web, that discusses the way Sony is erasing the images and if anyone has had success retrieving them.

Recovering the images from the card is really not an Aperture issue. When Aperture deletes images from a card installed in a camera Aperture basically gives the erase/delete command to the camera and the camera does the operation. You need to figure out what Sony is doing.

good luck

regards

Jul 16, 2013 9:35 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

I tested again. This time I shot an ARW photo, pulled out the card from the camera, put it into my Macbook Pro, then deleted the photo with Finder (and then empty the trash). Same result. Only an NEF files of smaller size (this time is about 1MB) is there. Apple Preview barely opens it, and I only see random color. Clearly that Stellar Photo recovery is not working with the ARW files generated by Sony NEX 6, although it advertises all over the web. I looked into Sony's website but could only find a software that works with Sony branded SD card (mine is Toshiba).

Thanks a lot for all of you who are trying to help me. Any knowledge about recovery software that Truly recovers ARW files?

Jul 16, 2013 9:48 AM in response to Wanderzhuanyou

Have you tried doing a search for recover sony arw files from card (or something similar) in Google?

Seems to be a number of products and suggestions out there.

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano - After looking at few hits from that search it seems a lot of folk say stellar didn't work but a program called REMO did.

See Recover Sony ARW files - Remo Software

How to recover sony ARW files deleted by Aperture after importing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.