Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air screen flashing problem after start up

When I start my MacBook Air, you can get through the login phrase, you enter your password and the desktop comes up, but then the whole screen starts to flash, like a camera. It's not flickering like others said on the Internet, it flashes like a camera when u take a picture. Please help. My screen just flashes and also, the dock doesn't show up. When I try to open an app like safari, it starts to slide but freezes and than continues flashing like it did before but with a grey screen. It's like my desk top picture, than a grey screen. My desk top picture, than a grey screen. Before I try to open an app, it just flashes, like my desktop pic, than a white flash. Please help!

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 14, 2013 11:19 PM

15 replies

Jul 16, 2013 3:59 AM in response to doneamo

Notice that Otis your desktop picture that is flashing. Menu bar and pop up dialog boxes seem fine. This suggests it isn't the screen itself. It is as if your settings in the desktop pictures is choosing between your picture and a blank grey screen. You can set it to change every few seconds. Sounds weird but maybe check your desktop pictures settings first and deselect the folder it points to. Dunno all I can think f.

Jul 16, 2013 10:39 AM in response to imacicam

No that is not the problem. I think it's the screen even though the menu bar is not flashing. I have checked system preferences and I do not have the desktop picture checked to change at any time.

I think it's the computer that has some kind of problem. The dock won't show up either. I do not have it on hide or anything else. Something is wrong in the computer. Please help. I can't really do anything on it because when I try to open an app, it freezes in mid way of opening it and continues flashing. Please help.

Jul 17, 2013 11:09 PM in response to doneamo

Guys if you have a solution please post it.

If this helps: as you can see in the video, there is a pop up that says "Your start up disk is almost full"

Could that be the problem? If so, how can i fix it? My start up disk IS in fact quite full. And there is a OS X update available, (my app store says) but I dont have enough room for it. So I can't install it now. But this never happened before, it just randomly started flashing. I have delayed updates before and it was fine. I dont know what's wrong. Please help!

Jul 18, 2013 3:54 AM in response to doneamo

Hope this helps.

1. Empty Trash.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10677

2. Delete "Recovered Messages", if any.

Hold the option key down and click "Go" menu in the Finder menu bar.

Select "Library" from the dropdown.

Library > Mail > V2 > Mailboxes

Delete "Recovered Messages", if any.

Empty Trash. Restart.

3. Repair Disk

Steps 1 through 7

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5836

4. For more on this and very helpful tips:

http://pondini.org/OSX/DiskSpace.html

http://pondini.org/OSX/LionStorage.html

Sep 13, 2013 11:39 AM in response to doneamo

I have the exact same problem and I don't know what to do. So far I have re-installed the system three times but the problem comes back after a couple of weeks. It seems that the dock tries to come but is somehow blocked by the blinking wall paper. I have an early 2011 15 inch macbook pro with 10.8.5 installed on it but I was having a similar problem with 10.8.4. If anybody has any information, I would really appreciate any help ..... 😟

I think it is some kind of a glitch in the OS. Right now I am working on the same computer on a different admin account and it is fine but my main account which has all my data and apps installed has developed this problem.

You posted this problem in July and this is Sept. I am having this problem since July. Please tell me what you did with your problem.

Jan 5, 2014 1:51 AM in response to doneamo

You posted back in July. Hoping the problem is solved now, but just for reference, I have had the same issue and I think I found the reason. I had a lot of applications in my Dock. I just removed a few of them - just the ones I don't use too often. Now I only have 30. ;-) This seems to have fixed it. Changing the background picture made only a temporary difference. I noticed the flashing was not happening with other accounts on the same MacBook Pro, so it had to be something with the way the screen was set up.

Others have reported that reinstalling the OS fixes it, but that is a heavy way of reducing the number of applications in the Dock. Hope this does the trick.

Jan 6, 2014 12:50 AM in response to doneamo

Hi Evereyone,

I did a lot of research and found a solution to this problem and I don't have this problem now since September 2013. First of all, rest assured that this is not a hardware issue. This is a problem with the vulnerable nature of Launchpad. If you have any third party app, that interacts with Launchpad or Launchpad icons or the dock, you will have this problem. For example, if you are using any app to remove or organize icons from launchpad or if you are using any app to alter the appearance of dock, you might have this problem. You see the thing is, when you start your computer, the first things that start are the launchpad and the dock. Now I have discovered that these small third party apps interfere with the normal processes of the launchpad and dock. When dock and launchpad try to start, they have a conflict with these third party apps, the result is a blinking screen, because desktop is again related to the dock and launchpad. So the desktop tries to come along with dock and lauchpad but their intiation routines get stuck with these third party apps (which are actually trying to alter the dock and launchpad at the same time), resulting in a pretty much bad functioning computer with a blinking screen and no dock, sometimes.

Now, you might think. that unistalling such apps, reinstalling the system and restoring everything from time machine will do the trick but no, this is not it. Do the following to get rid of the issue.

1. Take a time machine backup.

2. Re-install the system. Do not restore from time machine but reinstall a clean system from internet.

3. Again, do not restore your data from time machine, instead re-install all the apps you need from scratch and avoid re-installing any third party app that interact with the dock, desktop or launchpad.

4. Restore your data/documents but not "settings" and "other files" from time machine using "migration assistant" in utlilitiies.

5. Your brand new system is ready. It might take some time but you will get a fresh system without any problem.

Jan 6, 2014 1:21 PM in response to doneamo

Hi doneamo, I had the problem intermittently. It seemed not to occur when the power supply was plugged in, so that is when I removed applications from the dock the conventional way, and that still seems to have fixed it. You are right - I don't know how to remove things from the dock any other way, but hopefully some clever person will figure it out before I do. :-(

MacBook Air screen flashing problem after start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.