Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Numbers '09 so extremely slow?

Sorry to say:

The latest version of Numbers is extremely slow.

Despite my fast and well equiped hardware.

Can't trust on it being a professional application if there's a lack of support from Apple.

Even when using it very light with just small data if slows down.

Saving sometimes take half a minute, the same goes for exporting to PDF.

Also modifyng graphics is a drag, very slow performance.

It feels like consumer software.

If it would be free one might take it for granted.

When looking for clue's on the internet I notice there're a lot of fellow Numbers users with the same issue but not one solution or answer from Apple.

The Apple Store doesn't give me any satisfying answer. I'm not going to reinstall my complete Mac OS X as the rest is working just fine.

iWork updates are rare, one might think Apple doesn't take iWork serious anymore.

Would be great if users would know the continuating policy to be able to make their descission in choosing the right software for the future.

I wonder if the Software Department is sleeping.

Please help!

Some one?

specs:

MacBook Pro

17-inch, Mid 2010

Processor 2,66 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

Numbers '09 Version 2.3 (554)

All software updated to the latest.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 2:26 AM

11 replies

Jul 15, 2013 6:59 AM in response to Hennie de Laar

Hennie,

Numbers is great for presentation of information and is definitley not a professional package-- It falls under Apples non-professional software listing:

User uploaded file

For the money I, personally, think it is a great deal. but is is not a substitute for some features of more expensive software packages.

The only time I experience super slow performance is when my machine is running low on memory OR I have attempted to use a table with many thousands of rows. Multiple headers (or footers) can cause a significant slow down.

If you post specific examples we may be able to make suggestions.

Regards,

Wayne

Jul 15, 2013 8:39 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Thanks Wayne for your concern,

I know what I might expect (not too much) for a fair price so far I understand.

But a simple save & export action of just a very light & simple form (5 rows and 12 lines simple VAT invoice with only simple calculations) taking an extremely long time to perform is not realistic anymore. That's the reason I posted my request.

Maybe there's a simple way to solve it, excuse me for just being stupid. But since I notice this to be a more common bug one might think will there be an update anyway anyday. Even if it's non professional software, what exactly is Apple's developing policy on this one is the big question. Since with every swift system update (we do thank you for that Apple) iWork has been left in the dark for quiet a while.

Since I bought iWork for both my MacBook Pro, my iPad and also my iPhone (not so nice to have me payd for all three devices) being told it to be the Cloudly Microsoft Office Hammer App at the Apple Store in the early's. That showed some what of a vision, where we now just notice an echo.

Cheers

Hennie

Jul 15, 2013 7:52 PM in response to Hennie de Laar

Hennie,

This forum is "manned"... so to speak... by fellow user like you NOT Apple employees. We have not more information regarding the future plans for iWork then you have. Therefore anything you read regarding that is speculation is actually not allowed in these forums.

As to the reason for your specific example... I am happy to look at your documnent to see if I can reproduce the problem but cannot comment based on just the description. My email is loacted in my profile.

Best regards,

Wayne

Jul 16, 2013 1:59 AM in response to Hennie de Laar

Hennie,

The slowness of Numbers has been studied by some of the participants of this forum and has been discussed at length here for years. Those with much more programming experience than I have point to the manner in which the code was written as demonstrating little regard to execution speed. There was a period of about a year when just hovering the mouse over a table resulted in nearly maxing out the processors and rather quickly draining a MBP battery. We can only guess why that was eventually fixed, but I suppose that the large number of user complaints was a factor. Please do Submit Feedback via the Numbers menu and let Apple know that the way you would like to use Numbers is hampered by the way Numbers is coded.

You have given us fine detail on your equipment, but also have used the quite subjective term "small" to describe your documents. For now, at least, you may have to recalibrate your notion of "small" as far as Numbers files is concerned.

Avoiding Header Rows and Columns and avoiding shortcut cell address notation have been shown to speed things up a bit, but it's relative. I choose to use the full range of unique features that Numbers offers and live with the speed problems by keeping my documents "small".

Jerry

Jul 16, 2013 8:27 AM in response to Hennie de Laar

Hi Hennie,

5 rows and 12 lines

I am not sure what you mean by "lines"

This Table has 5 Rows and 12 Columns:

User uploaded file

This Table has 12 Rows and 5 Columns:

User uploaded file

Either Table is "small" by any standard.

Do you have multiple "lines" within each Cell? (not saying that would be the problem).

Saving sometimes take half a minute, the same goes for exporting to PDF.

Also modifyng graphics is a drag, very slow performance.

What graphics? How large?

What is the size of your document? In Finder, click once on the document and:

Menu > File > Get Info (command i)

Regards,

Ian.

Mar 23, 2014 8:42 AM in response to asia888

My Numbers is so slow that it's almost unusable. Very frustrating about Apple products lately. Please help.

Probably something specific going on with your document. If you describe it a litte more, maybe someone can help. I've experienced slowness for very large tables (thousands of rows) with formulas, but in general find Numbers's performance acceptable for day-to-day use. My guess is that is the case for most users.

SG

Feb 1, 2015 10:55 AM in response to Hennie de Laar

After pulling my hair out for a week trying to get some work done with this program and experiencing ridiculously slow reaction time, I finally figured out something.

For whatever reason, if my cursor hovers over the table I'm working on, inputting data is excruciatingly slow. I just moved my cursor off the window and the reaction time of the program became as fast as I expect it should be, virtually instantaneous. I don't know why this is, but I'm glad I discovered it.

Such a simple fix, hopefully this helps some other users. Just amazed I had to come upon this answer by fluke.

Why is Numbers '09 so extremely slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.