Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connect radio tuner to garageband

I want to archive an opera radio broadcast to my Mac.

I initially thought of using my tape deck to record it and then use an RCA audio cable, via an iMic, to transfer to GarageBand.

My Apple Store said I didn't need the iMic, but could connect the audio cable directly into the 'audio in' port on the back of the Mac. They also said a USB connector would be better than the 'audio in' port (contradicted by AppleCare, as described in next paragraph).

I could use the iMic USB connector but it is 10 years old and not USB 2.0, and the Apple Store said I could get a seperate USB connector . . . however, just speaking to AppleCare Helpline they said the 'audio in' port would be better than USB !

I am seeking advice on the following :

- should I use USB or 'audio in' port

- if, as advised in the Apple Store, I initially go 'New Project' and select 'Voice', do I leave 'Tempo/Signature/Key' as they are at '4/4 120 bpm/C major' ?

- if, as also advised by the Apple Store, in the new 'Song' I click on the '+' bottom left and select 'Real Instrument', what options in 'Instrument Setup' do I select?

- do I have to select 'Recording Level', or actively select any other factors ?

Thanks for your time.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 6:03 AM

First of all practice using your setup before the opera so you will know what you're doing.

Doesn't matter much if you use iMic or audio in.

Again doesn't really matter what tempo, but you could set it low to get the max amount of recording time.

You want to set the track to no effects.

Set recording level with the radio volume, start low and turn up.

Also make sure metronome is shut off. May want to monitor from computer. Don't use your computer for anything else while recording.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2013 6:03 AM in response to ringnib

First of all practice using your setup before the opera so you will know what you're doing.

Doesn't matter much if you use iMic or audio in.

Again doesn't really matter what tempo, but you could set it low to get the max amount of recording time.

You want to set the track to no effects.

Set recording level with the radio volume, start low and turn up.

Also make sure metronome is shut off. May want to monitor from computer. Don't use your computer for anything else while recording.

Jul 15, 2013 1:21 PM in response to isteveus

Many thanks for your response and suggestions.

The radio is a 'seperate' Denon, connected to other 'seperates' linked to an amplifier, and doesn't have a volume control. So I'm not clear what to do with recording level.

Particularly as in the GB window there are recording level displays in three different places, at the side of the track, at the bottom right where 'Input Source' and 'Monitor' are, and next to the 'time/measures' indicator, so I don't know which one/s I should set.

There is also an option for 'Automatic Level Control'. However, if I check it the 'Monitor' is switched off and I can't hear the radio broadcast; but if I then select 'On' in 'Monitor' the 'Automatic Level Control' becomes un-checked.

Apparently significant controls also appear elsewhere, such as in System Preferences 'Sound' where there are Input and Output volume settings for the selected device; as well as in GB Preferences Advanced 'Audio Resolution' (where I have selected 'Best').

I would appreciate any clarity you can shed.

The other responder to my request suggests GB can be erratic and unreliable, and suggests using instead an audio editor such as Audacity or SoundStudio. The latter is an Apple product so I am inclined, if I have to, to go for that, but it is a bit pricey.I would appreciate your opinion.

connect radio tuner to garageband

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.