Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

format disk Time Machine

How do I format my Time Machine hard disk in order to make new copies of my new Mac? It may seem a strange question, but I have bought a new Mac and transferred everything on my old Mac to the new one. So far so good. Now I want to make new Time Machine copies of my new Mac, but it stopped copying at the time that I used my old Mac for the last time. Time Machine does not make copies of my new Mac, though the hard disk is recognized by the Mac as a Time Machine disk. Can I format the extern hard disk that I use for Time Machine. I want to make brand new copies of my new Mac (as if the old one never existed). How do I do that?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 7:03 AM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

If you want and you don't need the data of your old backups, you can format the external drive. To do it, use Disk Utility.

Open Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilites) and choose your external drive in the sidebar. Then, go to Erase tab and erase the drive. You may need to set up Time Machine again, so open System Preferences > Time Machine > Select Disk, and choose your external drive again. It will start making backups

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2013 7:03 AM in response to TM Pot

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

If you want and you don't need the data of your old backups, you can format the external drive. To do it, use Disk Utility.

Open Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilites) and choose your external drive in the sidebar. Then, go to Erase tab and erase the drive. You may need to set up Time Machine again, so open System Preferences > Time Machine > Select Disk, and choose your external drive again. It will start making backups

May 6, 2014 4:34 AM in response to mende1

@mende1 or @Axeman1020, I have a similar problem as described above. But mine is complicated further by an OS problem. When I go into my utilities folder the iDisk utility has a strikethrough icon on it and I get the following message when I try to open it:

You can't open the application "iDisk Utility" because PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

I have a 2.8GHz i7 iMac running OSX 10.9.2. Any advice???

May 6, 2014 4:51 PM in response to Axeman1020

Thanks for the prompt response @Axeman1020, but that doesn't help me. If the iDisk Utility is no longer available as a core utility within OSX, what is the best alternative?

I can manually go into the hard drive and delete files, but I don't want to corrupt this device by going about it wrong.

Here's my situation: I ran into a technical fault on my iMac this Spring that required warranty service. When I got my iMac back I had to restore from my Time Machine backup. So far, no problem...

But now, my iMac doesn't recognize the backups on the Time Capsule drive for what they are and essentially I'm told that my 2TB Time Capsule only has 325 GB of the 2TB available. As my iMac is fine in its current state, I can afford to just reformat the drive on the Time Capsule and start over. But I don't want to screw anything up now that the Utlity that I know (iDisk) is no longer supported.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Jul 12, 2015 10:22 PM in response to Argelian

I have the same question.

A mac Pro with 10.10.4

Have doen a complete bare bones rebuild and instal, and copied all data over to new boot nd user folders, manually.

No i have a TM HDD with old data to re format/ re partition.

Time machine is Off

But Diskk Utility won't re partition or erase..Options for that are greyed out.

I am logged in as a Admin.

Did wonder about enabling 'Root' but wondered if there are any other options

format disk Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.