Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import from iPhoto, all or selective?

When I first import into Aperture from iPhoto, is it better to do it progressively, event by event or import the total library and organise within Aperture? Also, if I have photos in the wrong folder, can I just drag and drop into the correct one?

iMac 27" i5, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 7:31 AM

4 replies

Jul 15, 2013 10:00 AM in response to billbir

The import of iPhoto Libraries changed considerably since Aperture 3.3 and iPhoto 9.3.

Now Aperture and iPhoto share a unified library format. Any iPhoto library (version 9.3 or later) is also an Aperture library. You can simply open your iPhoto library in Aperture and use it with Aperture or iPhoto as you like.

But you cannot any longer import single iPhoto events or albums; there is no longer an iPhoto Browser in Aperture. But you can import complete iPhoto libraries into an Aperture library, if you want to merge your libraries into one.

See these support articles:

Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

and

Aperture 3.3: How to use Aperture to merge iPhoto libraries

When you are viewing your iPhoto Library in Aperture, you will see all your organization - the events will be projects, you will see all your faces, places,keywords, albums. It is easier to group projects/events in Aperture, so any new arranging would better be done after the transit.

Regards

Léonie

Added: If you have any hidden photos in iPhoto, unhide them before you open the library in Aperture, for Aperture cannot unhide photos hidden in iPhoto.

Import from iPhoto, all or selective?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.