Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two contacts, same person, one for iPad and one for iPhone?

I realize the title is confusion so here goes.

My gf and I both have iPhone 5s and latest gen iPads. We both use iMessaging like fiends. Being that we both often do not have mobile data on our iPads but we do on our iPhones, when we text eachother from those devices (or a mac), it comes up as a different "contact" in the messages app on the iPhone. I'm hoping that someone can tell me that I'm just overlooking something but is there a way to combine these different accounts so that when we text eachother, it all goes under the same message regardless of which device it's coming from?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 8:20 AM

Check Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > your phone number, your email address.

Do the same for iPhone and iPad.

Your GF should have a different Apple ID and as above use her phone number & her e-mail address.

8 replies

Jul 15, 2013 8:46 AM in response to Zathrak

If you are using the phone number for the iPhone, and the email address/Apple ID for the iPad, then this is the way it will happen. My son just bought an iPad, and when it is connected to wifi and he sends an iMessage (Apple ID/email), it shows one way. If he sends it from his iPhone (phone number) it shows differently. They are two different threads. Not sure that is exactly how it is supposed to work, but that is what it does for us.

Jul 15, 2013 1:26 PM in response to Zathrak

By adjusting those settings it to fit our scenario, things worked out. In our case, we wanted both our iPads and iPhones to carry on the same "thread" in iMessage. For future users...we both changed our settings to the following on both our iPhones and iPads (minus the cell phone aspect of it on the iPad):

Settings > Messages > Send & Receive

To be reached at: I checked my Apple ID / email (in addition to my cell phone number).

To start new conversations from: I unchecked my cell phone number and checked my Apple ID / email.

The only thing to note is that you may want to send a new message to the other person after making this change. Otherwise, you'll still be sending it to a cell phone.

Thanks!

Two contacts, same person, one for iPad and one for iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.