Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 11: Some files are unrecognizable

This has happened twice now: I try to import photos from a Nikon Coolpix camera to iPhoto 11 (OSX 10.8.4). Most are accepted but iPhoto complains that a few use an unrecognizable format. They are all jpegs.

After reading similar posts here, I have tried: creating a new library, rebuilding the library thru iPhoto and rebuilding the library thru iPhoto Library Manager.

The error message includes a file path that looks like this:

/Users/MyAccount/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Import/Masters/Roll 1/DSCN0999.JPG

Here's where I reach the limits of my education: When I look at the Package Contents of the iPhoto Library, there is no directory named Import. There is a Masters folder on the root level, but it does not contain a folder named Roll 1 and I can't find any sign of a file named DSCN0999.JPG.

Perhaps I should mention that these problems began after I transferred the iPhoto Library from a much older Mac (one of the old Motorola chip machines)... so old that I couldn't use Migration Assistant.

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 10:08 AM

First get the photos off the card (use image capture or a card reader) and use your camera's format command to reformat the memory card - this may resolve the issue

In the future a best practise is to not have iPhoto erase your photos but to keep them - after at least one successful backup cycle reformat your card - this assures that you do not lose photos due to a freak error and keeps your card format fresh (I use large cards and rotate them so I only reformat after over a year giving me one more backup of my source photos)

LN

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2013 10:08 AM in response to rpkyle431

First get the photos off the card (use image capture or a card reader) and use your camera's format command to reformat the memory card - this may resolve the issue

In the future a best practise is to not have iPhoto erase your photos but to keep them - after at least one successful backup cycle reformat your card - this assures that you do not lose photos due to a freak error and keeps your card format fresh (I use large cards and rotate them so I only reformat after over a year giving me one more backup of my source photos)

LN

iPhoto 11: Some files are unrecognizable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.