Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i create a new folder within my mailbox?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 8:40 AM

3 replies

Jul 17, 2013 8:32 AM in response to bssaba

Hi there,

It looks like the article below hase the information you are looking for.

Mac Basics: Mail (OS X Mountain Lion)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5361

Mailboxes

You can create traditional Mailboxes to move your messages into. They are like folders used in the Finder.

Follow these steps to create a Mailbox:

1. In Mail select Mailbox > New Mailbox…
  2. In the sheet that appears, choose the location for the Mailbox:
    • On My Mac will create a Mailbox that resides on only your Mac.
    • An email service such as iCloud will create a Mailbox on the email server that can be accessed by any device that you log onto.
  3. Name the Mailbox and click OK.

Click the "Show" button on the left side of the Favorites Bar to expose the Mailbox list or press Shift-Command-M. The Mailbox list is like the sidebar of a Finder window. Moving the cursor to the right side of the Mailbox list next to the group name will show the Hide / Show option. Click it to toggle the exposure of the Mailbox group content.Use one of the following methods to move messages into your Mailboxes

• Drag and drop highlighted messages into the Mailbox you would like to move them into. Even a Mailbox that is on your Favorites bar.
  • Control click highlighted messages > Select "Move To" or "Copy To" > Select the Mailbox.
  • Create Mail Rules the move or copy messages matching the Rules criteria into the predetermined Mailbox.

-Griff W.

Dec 5, 2013 5:29 AM in response to bssaba

Oh boy, after a few more tries, I realized that I was using "/" between two words that I was naming the maibox. I took out the "/" and it worked. Didn't realize that you can't use syimbols in naming mailboxes-- at least that one. So, myy problem is solved. I don't think there is any place that informs us about the rules of naming mailboxes. If anyone knows of such information, please get back to me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.