Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Finder wants to make changes" Why is password required to delete a file?

If I drag an image from my browser to my desktop and later try to delete it, a notice comes up which reads, "The finder wants to make changes" and then asks for my password.

This is very annoying and is new. Whats up?

Thanks.

Jeff

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 11:53 AM

Choose Go to Folder from the Finder's Go menu, provide ~/.Trash as the path, choose Get Info from the File menu, give yourself Read and Write access to it, and unlock it.

(85610)

21 replies

Jul 15, 2013 10:46 PM in response to Niel

I don't doubt tthat your script solution would have worked I still called AppleCare.

It was obviously a permissions issue. Their solution was to restart with Command and R keys held to start up in recovery mode which led to a window with 4 options in it available to me.

On the list was Disk Utility. I had tried Disk Utility before even posting here in Discussions. Remember this is now Recovery Mode Disk Utility.

I verified first and found two permissions out of whack. I ran Repair and then restarted and the problem was gone.

Regular Repair Permissions didn't do it.

Thanks for your help/

Jan 11, 2014 8:45 PM in response to Niel

I had this same problem. I tried everything from Repair Permissions (several times), to rebooting in several different modes, to reinstalling System 10.7.5. Nothing worked. Then I found your post, copied and pasted your script into AppleScript Editor, ran it, and it solved the problem. Thanks, Niel.

Like jeffT, I would like to know why this problem suddenly turned up on its own. I'm too technologically challenged to make it happen myself. Thanks again...

Feb 23, 2014 9:21 AM in response to Niel

Neil,

just found your post on how to keep the "finder wants to make changes.type your pass to allow" box from coming up.

i know typing the wront code in the terminal can cause big issues and i'm not that savey when it comes to code. not sure if this is the case here?

what exactly am i typing in the appscript editor?

am i typing: "chown " with quotes and hitting run?

and then "echo $UID" hit run?

and then "chmod u+rwx ~/.Trash"

my trash folder already has admin priv.

thanks for your time

owen

"Finder wants to make changes" Why is password required to delete a file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.