Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerbook G4 v 10.2.8 not connecting to wi fi

Hello,

I own a PowerBook 5,2 (version = 1.1) G4 mac system version OS X 10.2.8. I am trying to get it connected via wi fi but Airport does not turn on, even when I click on it and it does not recognize the wi fi connection. When I open the Safari browser, the Internet dial up connection starts to initialize. What do I do to get the computer to connect via wi fi?

Thanks.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 7:03 AM

The Airport capability on those machines was optional. Meaning the internal card wasn't always installed. http://www.ifixit.com/ has directions to determine if there is one installed. It takes the Airport Extreme 802.11g. That does not support 802.11n or 802.11a or 802.11ac. I would not attempt to hook to an 802.11b network as it is slower and less secure.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2013 7:03 AM in response to mafube

The Airport capability on those machines was optional. Meaning the internal card wasn't always installed. http://www.ifixit.com/ has directions to determine if there is one installed. It takes the Airport Extreme 802.11g. That does not support 802.11n or 802.11a or 802.11ac. I would not attempt to hook to an 802.11b network as it is slower and less secure.

Aug 7, 2013 10:36 PM in response to mafube

Be sure that you are using the Password to the Network.

Often when we get frustrated we have the tendency to use the password to the computer and not the Router and the Network.

As it has already been pointed out, The Powerbook trying to connect to a Dial-Up Connection. Using 10-2-8 is a little confusing because I wonder why you didn't upgrade to 10.3.9. Hopefully you were aware that it was a free upgrade, and if you had an Airport Extreme Card in your computer there were a ton of critical updates to the Airport Extreme.

Aug 8, 2013 1:12 AM in response to mafube

Hello,

To test if it's the encryption, try turning off your wifi security. (i.e remove the passsword) Connect the PowerBook and see if it connects.

If it does, then it's a problem with the encryption not being compatible. Other ways around this is to setup another wifi connection like a guest and set the encryption type to WEP, which should work fine with this PowerBook

Powerbook G4 v 10.2.8 not connecting to wi fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.