If your iDevice is using a version of iOS lower than 5, you will need to use iTunes on your syncing computer to perform the upgrade. Use the Apple link below as a guide for the upgrade.
Also read the instructions from the section entitled "Update your device using iTunes" at the link below.
Information regarding transferring purchases from your iDevice to iTunes on your syncing computer can be found at the link below.
iOS 6 is out.
- Ensure your device is connected to a power source. To avoid potential data costs connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update. iOS will automatically check for available updates. Available updates download automatically if your device is connected to Wi-Fi and a power source.
- If an update is available* you can tap Download to download the update.
- After the download has completed tap Install to update your iOS.
- If you leave the update to download in the background, once the download has finished you will receive a notification saying an update is available for your device. Tapping Details will take you toSettings > General > Software Update. Tap Install Now to install the iOS update. If you decide to leave the installation for later Settings will display notification badge until the update has been installed.
* Some iOS updates may not available as over-the-air updates. VPN or proxy connections may prevent your device from contacting the iOS update servers.
Update your device Via itunes
- Ensure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
- Connect your device to your computer using the included USB cable.
- After iTunes opens, select your device when it appears in iTunes under Devices.
- Click "Check for Update" in the Summary pane to check for available updates.
Message was edited by: Two3s
Make sure you have the latest iTunes version installed.
If you need iTunes, download it here.http://www.apple.com/itunes/?cid=OAS-US-DOMAINS-itunes.com
PS: You cannot update your iPad to iOS 5. You need to go straight to iOS 6.1.3 as Apple closed the window for iOS 5. Unless you saved your SHSH Blobs.