Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My airport express light is green but my computer still can't detect the internet

I recently got an Airport Express 802.11n Wifi system, which I'm hooking up to my Macbook 8,2 and an ethernet cord I got hooked up from Charter, and although I have a solid green light, my computer still struggles to connect to the internet although it seems like everything should be going ok. I already took my airport and Macbook to the genius bar and got some help reconfiguring some of the system preferences, yet it still didn't help unfortunately.

Any advice would be very appreciated ! Thanks so much.

Airport Express-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 4:51 PM

4 replies

Jul 15, 2013 5:10 PM in response to phylzie

my computer still struggles to connect to the internet

Does this mean that the computer connects to the Internet some of the time, but not all of the time.....or.....the computer does not connect to the Internet at all?

By chance, do you have your computer connected directly to the modem at this time to post your messages?

What is the make and model number of the "modem"? (We do not need a serial number)

Jul 15, 2013 5:43 PM in response to phylzie

The modem will connect to the first device that it sees, so this tells us that the modem has associated with, and will remember your computer.

When you connect the AirPort to the modem, the modem still looks for your computer, but cannot find it, so it refuses to issue an IP address to the AirPort since it has not associated with the AirPort.

So, you need to make the modem "forget" your computer. You do that by pushing the reset button on the modem....if present...and then powering off the modem completely for at least 30 minutes. Longer is better. Pull the power supply from the back of the modem or unplug from the wall.

Power off the AirPort Express as well

After the power down period, power up the modem and let it run for 10-15 minutes by itself.

Then, power up the AirPort Express and let it run for 5-10 minutes.

If the Apple Store configured the AirPort correctly, you will have an Internet connection now. If not, then we have to go back to square one and completely reset the AirPort and modem again.

My airport express light is green but my computer still can't detect the internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.