Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the iPad 3 get AirDrop in iOS 7?

I looked at the iOS 7 website and it says that the iPad 2 doesn't get AirDrop, but the iPad with Retina Display does. I have an iPad 3. Is the iPad 3 the same as the iPad with Retina Display, or do both the iPad 3 and iPad 4 get AirDrop?

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 6:17 PM

AirDrop is available on iPhone 5, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires an iCloud account.

http://apple.com/ios/ios7/features/

7 replies

Jul 15, 2013 6:17 PM in response to JoshSchlachter

About iOS 7

The following from Apple is all that we know about iOS7 at this time. We are users, too, so we know no more than you.

iOS 7 will be available as a free software update for iPhone 4 and later, iPad 2 and later, iPad mini and iPod touch (fifth generation) this fall. Some features may not be available on all products.

*US English, French and German will be available with the launch of iOS 7. Additional languages will be added over time.

For general information on the features of iOS 7 see: Apple - iOS 7.

Sep 22, 2013 7:56 AM in response to JuliaKB

It doesn't have AirDrop but I don't see why not. How is it that the iPad Mini which is almost identical specwise to the iPad 2 has Airdrop but the iPad 3 and 4S don't? The only difference between Airdrop and non-Airdrop devices seems to be the lightning cable but I don't see how that could have anything to do with a WIFI function. It makes absolutely no sense unless I'm missing something. If I am, I would love for someone to clear it up. Otherwise, I'm pretty upset because my family is one of those with several newer devices purchased within the past 14 months (iPad 3, iPhone 4S, iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPhone 5) that can't use Airdrop between each other because some devices have it and some don't.

Will the iPad 3 get AirDrop in iOS 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.