Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupted Project

ok, so this is weird

All the photos in a certain project after a certain date are corrupt ( meaning yellow flag - no reference file found )
If I unpack the Library and search for the file name - they are there

I have rebuilt permissions, repaired the database and even rebuilt it - nothing helps.

When I use 'locate referenced file' within Aperture it doesnt see any of the files.

I have used an older Library file, rebooting ..

The other strange thing is when I rename a project in Aperture - the 'locate referenced file' explorer doesn't pick it up, even after I clos eout come back in

>>>????

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 32 GB DDR3, Triple TB Display

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 12:34 AM

This looks like the bad problem, that Aperture occasionally loses the connection to managed files. Unfortunately, there are no built-in tools to reconnect managed originals. "Locate Referenced" does not work for managed originals.

What did you do right before you noticed the problem? Did you move your Aperture library? Restore it from a backup? Where is the library located? On your system drive or an external volume? And if external, how is the drive formatted? Have the images previously been referenced and you consolidated them? Just trying to find out how this could have happened in the first place. This simply should not happen; I'd run a hardware test and check the drive and the RAM.

You could try to fix this manually, but it will be a lot of work:

• Copy the originals for this project out of the Aperture library package and reimport the originals to a different project.
  • Then "Lift and stamp" any adjustments and metadata tags onto the reimported images.

Regards

Léonie

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2013 12:34 AM in response to wombat2007

This looks like the bad problem, that Aperture occasionally loses the connection to managed files. Unfortunately, there are no built-in tools to reconnect managed originals. "Locate Referenced" does not work for managed originals.

What did you do right before you noticed the problem? Did you move your Aperture library? Restore it from a backup? Where is the library located? On your system drive or an external volume? And if external, how is the drive formatted? Have the images previously been referenced and you consolidated them? Just trying to find out how this could have happened in the first place. This simply should not happen; I'd run a hardware test and check the drive and the RAM.

You could try to fix this manually, but it will be a lot of work:

• Copy the originals for this project out of the Aperture library package and reimport the originals to a different project.
  • Then "Lift and stamp" any adjustments and metadata tags onto the reimported images.

Regards

Léonie

Jul 16, 2013 8:57 AM in response to léonie

hey leonie !!!
those are all good questions but unfortunately I already asked most of them to myself before writing. The only thing I can think of was I was backing up Aperture Lirary to another drive ( simple copy / paste ) and somehow this screwed with the file. Makes no sense at all I know.

I keep my library and referenced photos on seperate external RAID drives. This however was managed, It also only effected photos that were in a particular slideshow ( i found this out after much experimentation )
The really strange thing though was that the images were there in the SPARSE package ( the package contents of the Library', but the 'relocate' explorer simply wouldn't see them. I couldn't use the stamp tool as all the corrections are kept on the managed photo.

So, what I had to do was ( if you're interested )
Create a top level smart folder that looks for 'missing' pics ( under status )
These pics actually some file names that I could search through on an older vault archive.
Follow the path into the Vault ( the naming makes no sense ) and reconnect through 'relocate ref file' ( this way you can keep all the adjustments
Consolidate all pics into a temp folder, and then your going to have manually move them back to the folders they came from.

I still have no idea why this happened but lesson for me was, an old vault came to the rescue. The Library didnt have them, neither did the 3 backups.

I'll run a hardware test anyway but luckily the problem was isolated to one project.

Thanks.

Jul 20, 2013 4:35 PM in response to wombat2007

leonie
ok, now it gets even weirder.
so, I went through the process described above = only took about an hour or so since it was one project.

reconnected them through an old vauult, consolidated all the files, and moved them into a temp folder before replacing them in their correct folders.

nothing shows up under a smart-folder search for 'missing' so i backed up two sets of vaults

quit in and out of aperture a few times - everything seems to be fixed.
the last few days, ran a full system back up, including aperture etc.

today, i open aperture - and the same problem - almost like i never fixed it.

i'm trying to restore from the vault i ran before backing up, but would love your opinion - this doesnt feel right.

fyi - everything i run is on a 3 teir back-up - the last being off-site. thats the one i did last night and why this is boggling me. nothong should have changed.

Jul 21, 2013 7:37 AM in response to wombat2007

I keep my library and referenced photos on seperate external RAID drives.

You have lost me completely, wombat. Which of your images are referenced, and which are managed?

You are saying you are keeping referenced images on your RAIDS, but at the same time you are restoring images from vaults and reconnecting them from vaults- but vaults only back up managed photos, and managed photos cannot be reconnected.

Is your library mixed? Half managed, haf referenced? Sorry, I am a bit confused.

How are your RAIDS formatted? Aperture does not work well with non-MacOS X Extended filesystems.

today, i open aperture - and the same problem - almost like i never fixed it.

Have you run a filesystem check on your drives?

Jul 22, 2013 7:59 PM in response to léonie

hey leonie
first of all - the vault backup worked - but lets see in a week ; >
I keep a number of projects referenced and off on another drive, just to keep my Aperture library a reasonable size. As a matter of fact, a neighbor of mine and I areon the same LAN and we're trying to figure out how to to synch it every few days across the street.

My Aperture Library is on an external drive and both the referenced and backups are on seperate hard drives, so basically three tiers of back up. I also run the vaults on two smaller WD portable drives, as well as one on an external. I back all these up on external RAID that I take off-site ( assuming the worst )
So , the older prjects I archive and push tpo referenced images - onl the last year or so and collections, portfolios do I keep managed.

You are right, even though I physically reconnected the images from an older vault it woiuldn't take it. It was fine for a few days and then just went back to not finding them. They were all managed, I beleive.

The RAIDS are I beleive RAID3, formatted for MacOSX - I've never had a problem before - expecpt for an entire RAID go down, and the tech convinced me that RAID3 was more stable.
In terms of file system check on drives - not sure what you're referring to.

Thanks for he response.

JJ

Jul 23, 2013 12:25 AM in response to wombat2007

As a matter of fact, a neighbor of mine and I areon the same LAN and we're trying to figure out how to to synch it every few days across the street.

Are you syncing the Aperture library using the LAN? Is your neighbor accessing the same library?

You are right, even though I physically reconnected the images from an older vault it woiuldn't take it. It was fine for a few days and then just went back to not finding them. They were all managed, I beleive.

That kind of trouble is very typical for trying to sync a an Aperture Library or iPhoto library. Syncing is simply not supported. All writes to the Aperture library must be done by Aperture, or your database may lose the references to the original files and the connection between edited version, albums, etc.

Jul 23, 2013 9:39 AM in response to léonie

not presently, but thats the goal.
instead of lugging 12T drive over to his house every 3 months, just put it on the LAN and schedule through ChronoSynch.

Unfortunately I can't do this with my Aperture Library, as theres no way to just back up incremental changes - it tries to do the whole thing.
The trick is, do it once hard-jacked, and then the auto-backups go very quickly.

Corrupted Project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.