Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad 2 continously beeps when connecting to macbook air 2013

Hi all you experts, hope you can help.

I have a new macbook air (2013) (which I configured by transfering a user from a TimeMachine backup of a macbook pro I am getting rid of), an ipad 2 and an iphone 4 all have the latest iOS (6.1.3) or OS-X versions and latest iTunes (11.0.4 (4)).

Both the ipad and iphone had no problems connecting to my old macbook pro.

But, when I connect the ipad 2 to the macbook air the ipad beeps continously. Using the same cable I can connect the iphone 4 with the macbook air and sync with itunes with no problems.

In my last attempt to fix this before trying this forum I backed up my ipad to icloud and then reset it ("Erase All Content and Settings"). On reboot I selected "Connect to itunes" and when prompted to connected the USB cable to the macbook air and the ipad. The beeping started immedietly and continously again.

I am at a loss of what to try next. Any ideas?

Steve

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 10:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2017 2:26 AM

I know this thread is ancient but I experienced this problem recently and found a simple fix. Connect through a usb hub or other device with usb port which is connected to the MacBook Pro. Eg my Wacom Cintiq has an extra usb port on it. Seems like there's something about the ports on my 2015 MBP that don't like my iPad - even when different original cables are tried. My 2010 MacBook works fine so I feel I can eliminate the cable and iPad.

Even connecting through a really crummy usb hub worked on my 2015 model but connecting directly just does not for me at least...

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2017 2:26 AM in response to GlobalTraveler

I know this thread is ancient but I experienced this problem recently and found a simple fix. Connect through a usb hub or other device with usb port which is connected to the MacBook Pro. Eg my Wacom Cintiq has an extra usb port on it. Seems like there's something about the ports on my 2015 MBP that don't like my iPad - even when different original cables are tried. My 2010 MacBook works fine so I feel I can eliminate the cable and iPad.

Even connecting through a really crummy usb hub worked on my 2015 model but connecting directly just does not for me at least...

Jul 17, 2013 1:12 AM in response to GlobalTraveler

I have figured this out myself and am updating this in case anyone else comes accross it. I was using a cable from Griffin Technology, a pretty big and well respescted company. I thought therefore there cables would be identical to apples cables. Turns out I am wrong, I replaced the Griffin cable with one that came from Apple and the problem disappeared.

So in summary it appears the USB cable from Griffin was able to handle the iPhone 4 connecting to a MacBook Air 2013 but not an iPad 2 connecting to the same MacBook Air 2013. While a cable from Apple worked for both.

Dec 1, 2013 8:35 AM in response to GlobalTraveler

I have the same problem. I called the Apple care support yesterday and it seems to be a problem with iTunes preferences. I tried with different Apple Cables but the trouble still there. They explained to me that I had to remove some files in the Preferences. I did it but the problem comes back today...

I have a new MPB Retina under Maverick with OSX 10.9 and iOS 7.0.4

Any suggestions ?

May 24, 2014 11:25 AM in response to GlobalTraveler

I had the same beeping problem, using an apple cable plugged directly into one of my iMac's USB ports. Worse, at one point in trying to eliminate my iPad Air beeping, iTunes would not recognize my iPad as a device. After trying various remidies I saw posted, I elimited the beeping and was able to sync with my iMac by doing the folowing:

1. Restart both my iMac and iPad, with them disconnected, and an apple connection cable in one of the iMac's USB ports (not in a USB hub).

2. Open iTunes on the iMac

3. Eject every device that iTunes identifies, even though they are not connected (for me, two iphones and my wife's iPad). After uyou eject the last device, the "x devices" button will disappear.

4. Connect the iPad Air to the iMac via the Apple cable. I heard a single beep, and iTunes found my iPad in about 5 seconds.

5. I was then able to sync/backup my iPad to the iMac.

Hope this works for others.

Nov 21, 2016 2:58 PM in response to GlobalTraveler

Adding this to I had the same issue with an iPad 3 and Macbook Pro (Mid 2015): upon plugging in the iPad repeatedly beeped, and I was using an Apple branded 30 pin USB cable.

I also traced the problem to the cable. Even though this was the same cable that had worked for years, I swapped with another 30 pin Apple brand cable (I've lots of them floating around with no purpose nowadays) and the beeping stopped and the iPad started charging. Confirmed the original cable was indeed the cause by swapping back - beeping, placed alternate cable back and all was good again.

Don't assume this is a necessarily the brand of the cable issue. I suspect either in my case I had a failure in the cable, or more likely a gradual loss of conductivity in the 30 pin connector due to years of plugging it in and out.

ipad 2 continously beeps when connecting to macbook air 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.