Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to reinstall iWorks but my Superdrive won't read disk.

Hi folks

I recently had a problem with 'NUmbers' not loading and after following the instructions of a very helpful forum member I have sorted out the problem. This, however, has thrown up another issue though and I wonder if anyone could help?

Since I installed Mountain Lion my Superdrive refuses to load most disks but as I hardly need it I don't feel inclined to spend time or money fixing it, however when I came to reinstall iWorks '09 from the disk - you guessed it - it would not load! I therefore had to downloadand a trial to see if I had fixed the problem.

My question is therefore, as I am the owner of a kosher iWorks '09 disk is there anyway I can gain access to the iWorks app in the Mac app store but without having to pay for it again?

By the way if anyone knows a way of sorting out my Superdrive I would be very grateful also ;o)

Cheers Steve

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 2:31 AM

2 replies

Jul 16, 2013 4:05 AM in response to FreelancinSteve

The DVD version of iWork has no serial number and can't be upgraded to anything else.

If your Superdrive is broken, just buy an external USB2 DVD/CD drive from eBay. That is a Pioneer USB 3.0 BDR RW drive, but there are cheaper models.

I got a USB Bluray drive for a fraction of what Apple was going to charge me for their repair and as a bonus it reads DVDs twice as fast as well as reads/writes Bluray disks! Apple put a brake on their internal optical drives as a "fix" for something or other.

The speed of my external drive is nice but it does make one **** of a spinning noise.

Peter

PS when you get to read your DVD make a disk image of it and store that on a drive somewhere as your backup installer.

Need to reinstall iWorks but my Superdrive won't read disk.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.