Skip navigation

No keyboard or mouse after Win8 Pro upgrade

2019 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2013 7:26 AM by CKiaAn97 RSS
jnalewabau Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 16, 2013 5:49 AM

I'm trying to install Win8 Pro on my new Macbook Air (2013) but after upgrading to Win8 Pro I am stuck at the Personalize screen as the keyboard, trackpad and even an external USB mouse doesn't work:-(

I had intially tried to do a clean Win8 install using the Win8 Pro upgrade disk, but my product key couldn't activate Win8. I think the key is only valid when used during an actual update.

I then installed Win7 Pro (64 bit) via Bootcamp, updated it and installed the Bootcamp drivers. Everything seemed to be working so I connected a Superdrive and

used the Win8 Pro DVD (64 bit) to install Win8. The installation appeared to go well but when I got to the "personalize" Win8 screen (to choose a color and a name for the PC) I can't use the keyboard or mouse to enter anything. It looks like the drivers are not installed :-( Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Should I reinstall Windows 7 and then rather than using the DVD to upgrade to Win8, create a USB drive and have the Bootcamp drivers on that USB as well?

This seems way too complex - but any hints would be appreciated.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), Windows 8
  • Rudegar Level 6 Level 6 (18,435 points)
    Jul 16, 2013 8:53 AM (in response to jnalewabau)

I would connect both usb mouse and keyboard for the install

if you don't have enough usb ports use a power usb hub

• CKiaAn97 Calculating status...
    Aug 31, 2013 12:25 AM (in response to jnalewabau)

Hello jnalewabau,

I have this frustrating problem too. Could you explain how you did the install with the 2 USB drives you generated?

Thanks!

• CKiaAn97 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Aug 31, 2013 7:26 AM (in response to jnalewabau)

Thanks for the information!

I also suceeded after I did the following steps.

I booted into Mac OS X and launched Boot Camp Assistant.

From there I selected Copy Windows ISO image to a USB drive. Then I selected the Windows 8 ISO image after I copied it to my Mac partition. It then did its magic and I ended up with a USB drive called WININSTALL.

Then I booted back to Windows 7, launched the USB drive window and double clicked on setup.exe

Voila! Windows 8 Installer proceeds with the installation, with Apple Boot Camp drivers installed automatically as well and the Mac no longer freezes at the Personalise screen.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.