Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has Support for Custom Icons Been Removed in LogicPro X?

I don't see any way to use my LP9 icons in LogicPro X. I hope they didn't remove this capability. Ideas anyone?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 2009 24"

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 12:32 PM

10 replies

Jul 16, 2013 1:49 PM in response to Robby Berman

I was wondering the same thing. The installer seems to have moved all of my custom icons to

~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Images/Icons/. The "Audio Music Apps" folder seems to have everything that used to be in Application Support/Logic.

It doesn't do any good, of course. My icons don't show up in Logic. In fact, I can't find where Logic is keeping the built-in icons. There's no Images/Icons folder inside the Logic package.

Jul 19, 2013 6:02 AM in response to Robby Berman

I'm not saying I endorse messing with LogicPro X's app package, but I've at least figured out how to make a multi-page TIFF (it's not really called a "multi-layer TIFF," apparently).

You need a photo app like Pixelmator or Photoshop variant, and Preview. Amazing little app, that one. You'll need to know how to use your photo app.

Here's what you do.

You open the image you want to use as an icon in your photo app and size it so it's 512 x 512 pixels at a resolution of 72. Make everything around the actual content transparent, flatten the image, and save it as a TIFF, preserving its transparency. Go back into the Image Size dialog, and change the image's size to 256 x 256, keeping the resolution at 72. Save this version as a second TIFF. Repeat three more times, at 128 x 128, 64 x 64, and 32 x 32 pixels, all at a resolution of 72.

Launch Preview and open one of the TIFFs. Open the Thumbnails pane. Open one of the other TIFFs and show its Thumbnail pane. Drag the thumbnail of the second TIFF ON TOP of the first TIFF's thumbnail, not underneath or above it. Repeat with all of the TIFFs until all five are visible in the first TIFF's Thumbnail pane. Drag them around until they go from smallest on top to largest on the bottom.

Export the result as a new TIFF; Preview will make it a multi-page TIFF for you. Once you've saved it, you can re-open it in Preview to verify that all the sizes are there.

Well, that's one part of the custom icon nightmare riddle solved anyway.

Again, I'm not sure I'm gonna mess with my own LogicPro X install, and this should definitely not be taken as a suggestion that anyone else should.

Jul 19, 2013 4:52 PM in response to Robby Berman

Okay, after hours of fiddling, I got this working and I now have custom icons. I'm not sure why I finally succeeded, though I do think two things were/may have been deciding factors:

1. When Preview exported my TIFFs, it set the permissions for Staff to Read-Only. They need to be set to Read-Write.

2. I suspect that TextEdit mucked up my edited plist file, causing dialogs in LP X to be green (!) at launch, and then the app to crash. When I switched my plist editor to TextWrangler, which is freeware, the green issue went away. Coincidence? Dunno.

Hopefully I haven't de-stabilized LP X. Not for the faint of heart.

Sep 28, 2013 5:34 PM in response to Robby Berman

There are ways to do this, but Apple, for some insane reason, has made this as hard as **** to do. To date, the best explanation of the workaround to this is the following Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSsNc8jiLe0

and corresponding blog post...

http://www.gregkocis.com/how-to-add-custom-track-icons-in-logic-pro-x/

by Greg Kocis

of course, for aesthetics there are also issues about rotation of image for uniformity that need to be addressed, but there you have it. For now.

Let's all do this: harp on Apple to make this a much less painfull process ASAP. This feature that was difficult but at least doable in Logic 9 for the average user (and even had a manual entry for how to do it in Logic 9) has become burdonsome. This is a feature that Apple should support - one of the things that is supposed to make Apple products "insanely great"

Has Support for Custom Icons Been Removed in LogicPro X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.