Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What year/ model is my mac pro? serial ends with 6R0GP

Hello Geniuses,

I have spent hours trying to find the year and or model of my Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon.

The search is not for the faint of heart. I running Lion and want to know if I can upgrade to Mountain Lion. I had a similar experience trying to figure out my "kernel" to see if I could run Logic at 64 bit. I fianlly just tried it and it worked beautifully. I don't think downloading a new OS to "find out" would be a good idea 😉. I've found many "theories" from users who do not have my set up. Please consider that the model and year does not show up on my "about this mac" pop up menu. Just my processor, memory, graphic, serial number and software. I found one article that had a link to "Tech Specs" that must have been changed. I could not find where I could enter my serial number to search this info. There are several articles out there that state other wise. It's not greyed out. It's not there. I've looked under all hardware. Where is the year and model hiding?

Thank you for reading 🙂

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 2:29 PM

10 replies

Jul 16, 2013 2:38 PM in response to ComposerLady

ABOUT THIS MAC .... MORE... SYSTEM PROFILER

All you and we need is the hardware header that says MACPROx,1

Where the x will be 1, 2, 3, 4...

you don't find the model year until 2008 - Early 2008 but which is also better know but is "3,1"

The type of RAM can tell us.

And yes the www.apple.com/support/macpro go to specs - if you know what to look for.

There were a few 2008 w/ 2 x 3.0GHz 800MHz DDR2 / 1600MHz front side bus / 54xx processor

There aren't theories. You have EFI32, then it is no. Your system has EFI64 then yes, and that is the EFI firmware. The day Apple pulled and stopped publishing the Mac Pro Developer Notes was the day a curtain came down over informed users -- was very helpful on understanding FBDIMMs especially and the schematic layout and design of the logicboard.

Jul 19, 2013 5:11 PM in response to The hatter

Thank You Hatter and everyone,

my hardware header simply states "Mac Pro"

I believe I may have replaced the ram in order to have matching sets when beefed up.

Here's what I can tell you:

Mac OSX 10.7.5

Processor 2 x3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 16 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro2,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Number of Processors: 2

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Processor): 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP21.007F.B08

SMC Version (system): 1.15f3

Serial Number (system): ending with 6R0GP

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001D4F4574B8

So yes, it's a Mac Pro2,1

I could have sworn that I found an article years ago when I was trying to run Logic 9 as 64 bit - that showed my Kenel was 64 - I was unable to find it later. I am clearly not as informed as you. How and where do I find if I have EF 132 or EF164 ?

I found another thread where people with notebooks ugraded their main hard drive to a larger size and they were allowed to upgrade/ download to Mountain Lion. I was hoping to upgrade in order to use the new Logic X. Whatever I have, it works great with Logic 9 running in 64, but I end up using another software when I have a lot of tracks. I am quite amazed as to what Logic 10 is capable. If ML is a pipe dream, then I better start saving my money.

Jul 20, 2013 6:06 AM in response to ComposerLady

Xeons are 64-bit processors

Apple is not very forthcoming on tech matters

A coincidence and changed nothing using a different disk drive.

Windows Vista 64-bit SP1 won't boot your system during install -- because of the EFI issue.

Skip and wait for Maverick to be out a year (which is how long Lion and Mountain Lion took to get their act in order and cleaned up) and do what you can for the next 18 months to improve on your system and skills.

And you found system profile header, a header is not just the first line but first section too.

Model Identifier: MacPro2,1

Jul 20, 2013 4:13 PM in response to The hatter

Thank you hatter,

I believe you and I share the same typo difficulties LOL. 🙂 When you say "Maverick" I'm going to assume you meant Mountain Lion.

I'm a bit confused as to why you are referring to Windows Vists (?) I use my Mac only for music software. I consider it my "authoring machine" for running my DAWs (DIgital Audio Workstations). Perhaps you were helping some other person and had me confused with them. If that's the case; bless you for being such a giving person.

Could it be possible that Apple pulled the info on my machine because they plan on not fixing the problem created when making them unable to update to the Mountain Lion OS? You don't need to answer if you don't feel inclined.

Hopefully waiting 12 to 18 months won't make my machine unable to sell if needed.

It does create quite the complication since I use a hyper threaded quad core PC as my streaming computer and the two machines need to match in strength in order to "play well" together. So a slow OS would also be a nightmare. "upgrading" to a stronger machine would then make the recent purchase of the streaming PC obsolete. It's quite the tangled web. Something good will come of this - it always does when things look bleak. It will be an interesting ride. 😉

I appreciate your help!

Jul 21, 2013 6:59 AM in response to ComposerLady

Windows Vista came out same time as the Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 basically and was 64-bit kernel OS but does not install - like ML - on yours and mine due to not have 64-bit UEFI. PCs with motherboards that support UEFI exist also.

And as was pointed out it was not a typo 10.9 the next Mac OS "Maverick" - I would just give a year.

Audio folks can really take full advantage of a couple SSDs for their tracks and libraries on a PCIe SSD controller and a couple 240 or 500GB SSDs from Samsung. And a small 120GB for their system in a drive bay. or use the two 'extra' SATA ports for a couple SSDs. It is easy to have 5 SSDs and 3 x 4TB drives. And SSDs will add a lot of improvement into your system.

Then save up for Mac Pro 6,1 or later. And you can reuse SSDs easily enough.

You can also upgrade yours to 8-core 5355s like many people do. Your system should run better today than it ever did.

What year/ model is my mac pro? serial ends with 6R0GP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.