Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages port forwarding Telstra cable modem

Anyone know how to get Messages video chat to work with the new "BigPond Ultimate Cable Home Network Gateway". It's the Netgear CG3100D-2BPAUS.

Messages worked just fine using the old Motorola cable modem but stopped with the new one. I've tried setting up port forwarding as per:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1507

and: http://portforward.com/networking/static-Mac10.4.htm

but no luck.

Thanks

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 1:31 PM

HI,

Does this device (and the firmware on it) have UPnP ?

UPnP allows multiple devices use the same ports (Port Forwarding does not)

This means you can leave the modem/router doing DHCP to Issue IP addresses and it will not matter if the computer gets a new IP now and then.

In a one computer set up it is likely to always get the same IP when you start it up.

1) because you probably restart it before the lease time runs out

2) because there is nothing else to "take" the number.

However with Smart Phones, Games Consoles and multiple computers you may find that with out setting up IP address that don't change, either by Static routing or Address reservation that computers (And other devices) will swap IP addresses and set ups like Port Forwarding will not work - they tend to list which IP to send stuff to.

The Port Forward site lists only a CG3100 (plain, no suffixes)

Presumably you have used the info on the Port Forwarding bit to learn the access User ID and Password.

I linked to the AIM talk set up (Portforward.com > Chose Brand > Chose Model > dismiss advert page > chose App > set up instructions)

Using the link at the bottom to see the Router's screen Shots I went to the Basic set up one

http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Netgear/CG3100/Basic_Settings.htm

Near the bottom of the menu is UPnP

On most Netgears it is enabled by default. Specific Screen Shot.

On some devices setting up Port Forwarding or Port Triggering and having UPnP on can cause conflicts.

UPnP is needed for Screen Sharing in Messages or iChat.

User uploaded file
9:31 PM Tuesday; July 16, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2013 1:31 PM in response to Geoffrey Bonnin

HI,

Does this device (and the firmware on it) have UPnP ?

UPnP allows multiple devices use the same ports (Port Forwarding does not)

This means you can leave the modem/router doing DHCP to Issue IP addresses and it will not matter if the computer gets a new IP now and then.

In a one computer set up it is likely to always get the same IP when you start it up.

1) because you probably restart it before the lease time runs out

2) because there is nothing else to "take" the number.

However with Smart Phones, Games Consoles and multiple computers you may find that with out setting up IP address that don't change, either by Static routing or Address reservation that computers (And other devices) will swap IP addresses and set ups like Port Forwarding will not work - they tend to list which IP to send stuff to.

The Port Forward site lists only a CG3100 (plain, no suffixes)

Presumably you have used the info on the Port Forwarding bit to learn the access User ID and Password.

I linked to the AIM talk set up (Portforward.com > Chose Brand > Chose Model > dismiss advert page > chose App > set up instructions)

Using the link at the bottom to see the Router's screen Shots I went to the Basic set up one

http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Netgear/CG3100/Basic_Settings.htm

Near the bottom of the menu is UPnP

On most Netgears it is enabled by default. Specific Screen Shot.

On some devices setting up Port Forwarding or Port Triggering and having UPnP on can cause conflicts.

UPnP is needed for Screen Sharing in Messages or iChat.

User uploaded file
9:31 PM Tuesday; July 16, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Messages port forwarding Telstra cable modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.