Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express/Extreme

Hey guys! I was wondering if someone could give me a full introduction to the Airport Express and AirPort Extreme. I wanted to know if I need an Internet provider (FiOS) to make it connect to the Internet and act as my house router, giving me Internet to play games online and surf the web. Also, does the express act as a little Wi-Fi booster? Like I place it in my room (Weak Wi-Fi) and my wifi becomes great? Thanks so much!

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 7:52 PM

You need an Internet service and a modem. FiOS is OK. Then, use an AirPort Extreme to create a wireless network, but an Express can suffice. Add another Express if you need to extend its range. That's it.

http://www.apple.com/wifi

13 replies

Jul 17, 2013 8:26 AM in response to Lockbox30

Hi,

Yup, that's about it. Both AX, AE & TCs can 'range extend" via roaming network (cable) or WDS - but this will reduce throughput as they have to re-xmit everything.

So summary:

AE:

50 Users

Disks/SAN - add you own

Time Machine (only with "new" 802.11ac one - *not* others) - with disk above

Printer

Extend range

802.11b/g/n/ac

1 GB Wan Port, 3 GB LAN ports.

TC

As with AE but has own disk already

AX

10 Users

Printer

Airplay

Extend range

802.11b/g/n

1 GB WAN port, 1 GB LAN port

Jul 17, 2013 11:01 AM in response to John Galt

You guys are great! (Takes notes) So the setup would be AirPort Extreme next to my FiOS Router. Then AirPort Express on my desk in my office. Would the Express have to connect to ethernet to serve as a Wi-Fi expander? And Time Capsule, basically AirPort Extreme, does all it does, but has the hard disk in it and backs up my devices daily? Thanks again!

Jul 17, 2013 8:21 PM in response to Lockbox30

I believe Verizon FiOS supplies a combination modem / router. It is preferable to disable its router function, and leave that to your Extreme since it's a better router. An additional base station (usually the more inexpensive Express) can "wirelessly extend" the network created by the Extreme, in addition to providing a way to connect remote speakers for AirPlay audio streaming.

In that configuration the Express does not have to be connected to anything with an Ethernet cable, but doing so conveys advantages over relying upon wireless signals and the phenomena that affects them.

And Time Capsule, basically AirPort Extreme, does all it does, but has the hard disk in it and backs up my devices daily?

Exactly. Time Machine actually backs up every hour, but that's another subject altogether 🙂

Airport Express/Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.