Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ok, enough complaining about upgrades/pricing, who is using Logic-X

So, how is it running?

Anyone tried using Logic-X on an existing Logic-9 project?

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 5:21 PM

12 replies

Jul 17, 2013 6:15 AM in response to Pancenter

I've just installed it.

I normally mix orchestra recordings, some 120 tracks.

Tried to open a record song from 9, so only audio, no edits, plugins...crashes.

Made a new song with 120 empty tracks and dragged the tracks in, always works in 9, X crashes.

Tried an empty song, dragged 120 in and "create new tracks"...crashed.

So for me, not working yet.

Jul 17, 2013 6:24 AM in response to Pancenter

Morning Pancenter!

Well, I can give a brief overview of what i have found, having spent the night trying out LPX on my 2011 MMS testbed setup alongside LP 9 on another identical 2011 MMS setup.. Please note: This is not a scientific test... Just a quick look at how LP9 and LPX compare using identical projects on identical hardware.. so your results/experiences may differ.

1) Multicore distribution - Much improved with LPX. Two different projects that both overloaded a single core with L9 showed an almost even distribution over all 8 cores with LPX. Not perfectly even .. but pretty close. I did occasionally note a slight surge on one core when I first initiate playback but that quickly vanishes and core load becomes even.

2) HD 'streaming' performance - Both MMS's have a pair of identical 500GB 7200rpm internal drives. Not discernable difference that I could observe. The three test projects I used for this,each were heavy on disk usage and both performed almost identically.

3) CPU load tests. 2Ghz i7s. This one was a little tricker to test because of the apparent improvements in multicore load sharing as described in #1 but in general I don't think I saw that much of a difference in single core performance. The problem for me in this test was, in part, trying to make LPX work with only one core in the same way i could get LP9 to work! However I did note a small improvement in overall CPU load/usage with LPX.. but probably not enough to make any real discernable difference.

4) Graphic performance - I couldn't really test this as i have never had the GUI lag/Graphical Performance issues that some have reported.. so i didn't notice any difference between L9 and LPX. LPX however, did 'feel' snappier to me at times... and some of the GUI elements such as the SI selection menu were certainly faster and smoother. In general LPX feels more optimized, code wise.

5) Start up tme - One unexpected bonus was that LPX started up a heck of a lot quicker compared to L9. It seems the AU scan at the beginning has been much improved in terms of speed to accomplish this. Loading projects seemed a lot quicker too.... However, I haven't tested LPX with external CS's attached so this may change load times.

Thats it so far.. maybe more later once I have had some sleep! 🙂

Jul 17, 2013 6:24 AM in response to Pancenter

I used it for the whole day yesterday and went through all the stages, namely: Excitement, Disappointment, Hope, Anger and Acceptance.

There are things that I like. The best improvements are in workflow. The program launches in seconds and doesn't force you to do thngs like create a save file before recording. Tracks stacks are neat and save a bit of time on Aux setup, though they seem to have come at the expense of one of the most useful shortcuts that existed in Logic before: Create New Track with Next MIDI Channel is gone.

I opened several projects created in Logic Pro 9 without issue. When you open them, it asks you to save a copy with a .logicx extension. Didn't see any problems here.

All of my plugins are working: UAD, Waves, SoundToys (64-bit beta), Slate, SSL. This is unsurprsing since clearly nothing under the hood has changed.

Almost everything that's new here is cosmetic, and/or a bolted on production feature. This is comically obvious when you open the Environment window and see that it's still in the old UI style. In the Mixer (where I spend the majority of my time), you still can't move the channels without moving them in the arrange window, and the UI isn't even consistent. For example, you can now use the mouse wheel on faders in the Arrange Main window to move them up and down, but if you try the same thing in the Mixer, the whole window scrolls up and down, even if it's already vertically maximized.

CPU and drive performance seems unchanged.

The awful hard-coded Stereo Output "feature" is still there. I would have given up everything else just to have this fixed, but no.

Undo is still inconsistent. You can undo some things, but not others.

It's pretty crashy. I counted about a dozen crashes yesterday, sometimes caused simply by opening windows. Mind you, if we accept crashes as a fact of life for a .0 release, it was at least a much less painful experience: reopening Logic immediately took me right back to where I was before the crash, with my project intact right up to the last edit. This alone was probably worth the upgrade.

As for the other features:

Drummer is quite nice as a production tool, but gimmicky.

Flex Pitch had me excited and is quite nicely implemented in terms of UI, but is unfortunately very poor. Audible artifacts from only slight pitch changes on good source material. It doesn't come anywhere close to Melodyne and seems essentially unusable in a professional setting.

Smart controls seemed like a nice idea at first, but I struggled to think of a practical use for them.

In all, it's not a bad release. It at least hasn't really broken very much. But it's clear where this is aimed, and unfortunately it's at the creative/production side (I'm being careful not to say Garageband Pro here, but honestly it's what I'm thinking). As primarily and tracking and mixing engineer, there's not much in here I can use, and I guess I'm going to have to resign myself to the fact that the things I've been hoping to get in Logic just aren't coming. Which is probably going to mean some tough decisions in my near future.

Jul 17, 2013 6:26 AM in response to Pancenter

I purchased it yesterday and opened a song that I was working on in LP9. So far so good! I have not had a crash yet! So far all my plugins work except for 32 bit. I knew that would happen from reading the reviews before I installed it.

LP9 still exists on my dock just in case I need to go back to that version however, I'm enjoying the new look and trying my best to get use to the new features.

My environment is still in tact which is extremely important. Some of the shortcuts have changed a little but, it is small! They have made it more friendly for new users but, the veterans like us still have the usual engine under the hood so far.

I didn't care about paying the $199 to upgrade. That is still cheaper than Pro Tools 10 upgrade to 11 ($299).

Dive in people!

Jul 17, 2013 6:37 AM in response to Miles Fender

Miles your last statement is the same thing I said to myself before LPX was released.

In a way I am still feeling this way. I am extremely close to making Pro Tools my main DAW due to the fact they are continuously updating and making they're software better!

However, I started out on Pro Tools before switching to Logic. I really love Logic and my workflow is effortless so it's a hard decision. I can tell you this I am extremely happy Apple came out with something! It's not the best and somethings could have definitely been better but, it is what it is. They're trying to make it more friendly to the novice users.

We will see what happens.

Jul 17, 2013 7:00 AM in response to Krayon04

Hi Krayon04,

I'm pretty familiar with Pro Tools - I've used it a lot at other studios. I definitely prefer working in Logic.

I do recognize that most of my frustration comes from the fact that my needs have changed over the years, but Logic has not changed with me. I used to do lots of performing and composition, for which Logic was perfect. But these days I make my living as a mixing engineer (who still uses a lot of hardware and a real console), and Logic is just not ideal. Things like not being able to use channels 1 and 2 of my console independently are insanely cumbersome, and it's clear that I'm hoping for mixing and routing improvements that just aren't coming. I'm sure Apple sees me (probably rightly) as a dying breed.

I really don't want to switch, but I think I have to be realistic.

Jul 17, 2013 7:21 AM in response to Miles Fender

Miles Fender wrote:

As primarily and tracking and mixing engineer, there's not much in here I can use, and I guess I'm going to have to resign myself to the fact that the things I've been hoping to get in Logic just aren't coming.

This is probably closest to where I'm coming from as I mainly record performances of one type or another with some added sweeteners.

AOS, good to hear that the multicore support is much improved, I wonder how they achieved that, can a single channel strip (or software instrument) with effects use more than one CPU core? If so that's something they should be advertising.

Thanks everyone!

Jul 17, 2013 7:58 AM in response to Pancenter

Pancenter wrote:

AOS, good to hear that the multicore support is much improved, I wonder how they achieved that, can a single channel strip (or software instrument) with effects use more than one CPU core? If so that's something they should be advertising.

One thing I have just noticed.. is that some plugins seem to work better than others when in the same channel strip in regards to core load balancing. Last night I only used Logic's own AU plugins because my testbed MMS is kept very 'clean' so I can discount any 3rd party programs or plugins's 'effects' from any results i get...

However, I just finished installing 10.8.4 and LPX on an external HD attached to my 2011 3.4Ghz i7 iMac and in doing so I also installed some 3rd party plugins such as Kontakt, Zebra2/HZ , Predator, Korg, Omnisphere, T-Racks and 2C-B2... which are the seven 'external' plugins I tend to use most... and I am not seeing such dramatic improvements on CPU load balancing that i saw last night using only Logic's built in plugins. Some improvement yes, but as much, no. .. no where near as much.

Putting Kontakt and 2C-B2 on the same channel strip in LPX seemed to load up a single channel just as it does with L9 but not to the same degree...and other cores do show some activity which doesn't happen in L9. However, maybe the other cores are showing GUI activity or maybe Logic's own load itself.. rather than the plugins themselves?

This needs much more research before any real conclusions can be reached i feel...

Ok, enough complaining about upgrades/pricing, who is using Logic-X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.