Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are the benefits of using apples airport express over standard wifi boxes?

I'm very new to apple, just purchased my new macbook pro, I have an iPhone 4s 5 and an iPad, however I am unsure if I get the benefits out of the products as it's all very new. I wanted to know if there were any major benefits for using the airpot express wifi box over my internet providers wifi box?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 8:49 PM

4 replies

Jul 17, 2013 4:01 AM in response to papillondefer

Mainly Airplay, Time Machine and/or SAN and attaching printers.

Some routers allow the last two but I've generally found the Aiports easier to administer,

Extending the network becomes a breeze via Apples WDS *but* you have to turn the Routers WIFi off and just use the Airport for Wireless. Apples WDS only extends Airports to Airports (or Time Capsules)

I've turned my Netgears WRN2000's WiFi off (conveniently it has a hardware switch for this), then used an Airport as a "main" node with 5 other Airports hanging off it. One extended via a cable, the other wirelessly.

This configuration supports 4 phones, an iPad, 6 'puters, 2 sets of speakers, a printer, a SAN, a WiFi TV and a PVR!

Regards,

Shawn

What are the benefits of using apples airport express over standard wifi boxes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.