Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro recently started making a loud whirring/chainsaw noise from the middle of keyboard area. When I put the laptop sleep, the sound eventually fades, but it will start up again once the laptop is up and running. I'm 17 and broke, HELP ME PLEASE

I really don't know what to do, my laptop is my lifeline with school and college, I can't have a serious problem with it right now, any advice?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 11:15 PM

5 replies

Jul 17, 2013 12:04 AM in response to young_broke

15" = 2 fans, left & right. HDD in lower-right corner. See here for component placement (click on appropriate model, choose the fan guides): http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_15%22

Replacement fan: $60 + shipping. 13 screws altogether.

Determine which one with Old Mechanic's Trick: get a solid metal rod of adequate length 3/16"-1/4" dia., place one end against the bony area next to your good ear and move the other end against different spots on the Mac's body to determine exactly where the noise comes from.

Or replace both to be safe.

99% sure it is a fan.

P.S.: Must Replace Bad Fan. If it fails, MBP can overheat and get permanently damaged. Not User Serviceable.

My MacBook Pro recently started making a loud whirring/chainsaw noise from the middle of keyboard area. When I put the laptop sleep, the sound eventually fades, but it will start up again once the laptop is up and running. I'm 17 and broke, HELP ME PLEASE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.